trailer hubs, raising bunks

jack450

Cadet
Hi all, I am desperate. I bought a homeade pontoon trailer for my 24ft boat, man said it worked great and I having no experience thought it would work too. My problem is it is a float on that holds boat from the center braces and not on the pontoons, well yesterday I tried to haul it out and found it hit the tires on tubes. So I borrowed a friends trailer. My trailer has the house trailer type axle that uses 8x14.5 donut type wheels. Can I convert to a regular hub that uses a smaller tire? The type most trailers have. I only have a week or so to get the trailer to clear the tires. Any ideas ? Thanks also I need to raise the stationary bunks to clear transom, and front facia help please!!!

Last edited:

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trailer hubs

Re: trailer hubs

Not familiar with that size tire, or trailer, but I am familiar with the situation you are in.

A different size tire may not have sufficient load carrying capacity to do the job.

You would need to check the tire specs.

How bad is it? Can you reverse the spring setup to gain some height? How about having some spacers welded (?) to the frame supports, or a spacer cut into and welded to the axles? Or maybe different wheels with a deeper offset? Or a spacer made to go between the hub and the back of the wheel with longer studs. or with it's own stud patterned for the wheel?

These are just suggestions and may not all be good ones, but it's just to let you know there are options. A lot will depend on the availability of fabricators in your area, or your own abilities.

I am sure that others will chime in and hopefully furnish further, better, suggestions and not just add negative comments.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: trailer hubs, raising bunks

Sounds like if you were to add to the top of the bunks, the boat would sit higher and thus gain the clearence you need for everything.

Generally speaking, it would be better to replace the entire axle and hub assembly with one made of standard components.

And probaly cheaper than trying to convert the MH axle to run regular hubs.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

If your trailer is empty, How about removing the bunks 2x4's I guess,Replace them with 4x4's then nail or screw the old bunks to the 4x4's .this will give you 6 inches of height. then when you get your boat to where ever your taking it .park it and go get a real trailer. I was looking at one last week .It's Sun Catcher for a 24 ft tandum wheels with brakes on one axe. $2495.00 or just look around for a good used one.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

The trailer wheels you have now are referred to as Dayton style, commonly used on mobile homes and such. They are much heavier duty than what most boats would need. Your best bet is to swap out the axles and hubs to something more il line with the weight of your boat. I think you'd save money and hassle in the long run vs. running the Dayton wheel set up.

jack450

Cadet

Thanks to all for your input, I have started pricing new axles. Again Thanks Jack