wiring 12 volt fog lights to 24 volt system??

itsmeewhooelse

Recruit
I'm wondering if I can wire a set of 12 volt fog lights to 1 of my 2 batteries that I have run in series (24 volt which are in the front of the boat), instead of running the wires to the back of my boat where I have my 12 volt starting battery??

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: wiring 12 volt fog lights to 24 volt system??

Welcome to iBoats!

This should do it for you

attachment.php

I'm just sayin...:D

Attachments

• batteryHookUP.jpg
    batteryHookUP.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm wondering if I can wire a set of 12 volt fog lights to 1 of my 2 batteries that I have run in series (24 volt which are in the front of the boat), instead of running the wires to the back of my boat where I have my 12 volt starting battery??
Sure, but with some care.

I gather by what you say about running wires these are stand alone batteries you charge back at the marina or on the hard, they are not in the engine alternator's charging circuit.

I believe it's best to come off the battery that's on the ground side of the pair. The two are already separated by an isolator I trust.

You'll be causing an unequal discharge of the pair. The 24v load sees the pair as simply a single battery. If one battery has been drawn down it will be like a single battery with half it cells undercharged. So, before using your 24v load you'll want to be sure both batteries are back to equal charge. Otherwise the lower charged of the two could get pulled down too far and its life shortened considerably.

If you are gauging the charge level with a single 24v gauge, switch to or add individual 12v gauges.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can do it another way. Wire the 12v lights in series. This is done all the time.

positive- switch-light-light-negative or positive-light-light-switch-ground.

The only thing is if one light fails they both fail. To get around that a balance wire is installed .

Here is a service bulletin from MCI bus showing how.

http://www.mcicoach.com/service-support/serinfo/serinfo07G.htm

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Cant you just get 24V replacement bulbs ?

Just wondering ...

What bulb # do they have in there right now ?

YD.