possible project please help with input

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so i am comfortable with the price i can get this boat for, I know it will be a total restore but I have a few questions but first I will add the pics so you will understand what I am asking

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: possible project please help with input

ok now for the questions!!!!

The bench seat at the front, can I remove that to free up more space or do you think it adds th the hulls regidity? same question about the storage locker along the port side.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

I think you can remove it since it so close to the bow cap. But im not a structural engineer :)

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks jim thats the answer I was hoping for! Kinda scared about putting in a ton of work and ending up with an aluminum boat that will fold up the first time I run it wide open. realy like the price the guy is willing to give me on it so I am tempted if i get enough of the experts here saying go ahead and pull it i will jump on it, otherwise i will keep looking for a boat that suits my needs without alteration.

wishboneZ51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To answer you questions the only way you are going to get a definate answer is by exposing your floor. The boats ribs should run along from one side to the other. The side bench seat was not for structural stability. The bench seat does not even go to the center keel line. In essance it wont stop the boat from cap sizing. However the front bench may have cross members that are structural beams for the bow. You are going to need to see what is under the bench seat and see if there are cross members going all the way from one end to the other. They will not just run on the floor but will creep up the sides of the hull. You need to keep those in place.

But to put a lot of money into it that is inevidable it is a boat and we all know what that stands for. No, seriously if you are tossing the idea if the boat is the right size for you, make sure you want to buy a boat that is going to meat your needs 90% of the time, notthe few exceptional times. Make sure you add any people,gear, food, supplies and any other stuff you may use on your trips. All of this adds weight which is our worst enemy.

Good luck and let us know what you deside...

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The front bench and rear bench look structural to me, I haven't seen a tinny without something there. Are you thinking of putting a casting deck there?

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not a casting deck persay but just continue the main deck and put a chair up there along with the troling motor, kinda like the alumacraft backtrollers or the lund I think was called a Mr. Pike just seems like that bench would be in the way, the boat is rated for a 50hp and 1200 lbs motor and gear so not worried about adding weight just worried about space. boat and trailer he is willing to do 400 bucks so i think its a decent price but 400 bucks for the wrong boat is a waste.

emoney

Commander

Not exactly sure what's in your thoughts about how she'll look, but;

If you added a "casting deck" to the front, then you could always use the
bench as foundation for the deck. Then, you could mount a seat post to
the new deck, along with your trolling motor. You would basically have the
same amount of deck space, it would just be elevated at the front. A lot
like Whalers, etc. Same thing goes for the back. That way, (since it may
very well be a structural thing), you keep the rigidity the bench provides and
gain valuable floor space that you're looking for.;)

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couldn't you look at the rivit alinement on the other braces on the sides and match'em up with what under the front bench seat? Just a thought.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dude I am not sure I understand, are you saying look at the rivit lines on the bottom to try and figure out if its structural?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The boat is built off the transom. That's not a true naval architect term but it means that the sides and hull all tie back to the transom rather than individual frames. Nomally there will be two stringers and the deck will tie into them and the ribs at the edges. The seats are positioned one forward and one aft to help keep the bow form. This essentially forms a delta forward and a box aft.

So to answer your question about removing the seat.. Sure but you'll need to build a frame out of 3/16 6061 T6 aluminum to take on the job that it's doing now. The frame should be constructed so that it only makes contact at the chines, sheer and keel. If it touches the sides or bottom it will eventually form an ugly crease line that will eventually crack.

You can use pop rivets and angle tabs to secure it in place.

If you're unsure how to make a frame, go to www.glen-l.com and have a look at some the construction tips and examples of boats that folks have made. Some that are in the construction stages show very nicely how a frame is made.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what about converting it to a tiller? anyone see a problem with that? removing the consol would free up a lot of space!

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

that would be a good idea since the console is not structural to the boat>

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the input jim! Just curious how big of an outboard am i going to be able to find in a tiller? rated for a 50 would like to throw a 40 on it just not sure how easy they will be able to find on the used market

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

They make tillers in bigger horspowers. Check craigslist all around your area I am sure youll find one.

andyrmilwaukee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking at this old thread makes me wish I had pulled the trigger on that boat! would have been a fun project for 400 dollars