1990 Force intermittent issue

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice
Re jetted my 1990 Force 120 hp L Drive engine and it helped a bunch with power. Ever since I can remember I have had a running issue with this engine. It will run like a champ for about an hour (from first start up) then start running like crap. Starts missing and sometimes will only hit 3000/4000 rpm then all of a sudden jump right back to running great. Checked all wiring and am baffled as to the issue. Installed a fuel/water separator filter assembly and it helped a ton. It's just so intermittent and it always seems to take a little time to develop from the first time I fire it up. Im at a loss.Can anybody think of what/how to check when the issue happens?

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1990 Force intermittent issue

Might be a wiring issue. Never seen an L drive system. Just a suggestion...If you have terminal connections then I'd cut off the old ends and put new spade connectors on them. While disassembling my engine and removing the connectors...about half of the wires broke out of the connectors from corrosion. Hope you find the problem.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Force intermittent issue

Sounds like water and ethanol is messing up the system.A good see through filter(see pic) will help.The ethanol will soften hoses(see pic) and let gunk into the system when the hoses delaminate.Hoses over 5-6 years are having trouble.
The fuel pump diaphram probably needs replacing.Read my signature.J

Attachments

• Tach and stuff 015.jpg
    Tach and stuff 015.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 108664.jpg
    108664.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 0