which batterie I need to buy!!!

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello there is time to get new batteries for the boat the engine is a mercruiser 228/305 with a alpha one gen II, I went to the store and they have the marine starting batterie and the deep cycle battery, they have almost the same price which one is better>....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: which batterie I need to buy!!!

one is not "better" than the other. They are designed for different tasks. For primarily starting your motor, a marine starting battery is ideal. For running accessories or a trolling motor, a deep cycle is ideal. While I have done it, I wouldn't recommend using a deep cycle for a starting battery as they really aren't designed for that.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The starting battery is the "normal" one for you. You would only need the deep cycle battery if you use it heavily when the engine is not running. Electric trolling motors, etc. The deep cylcle battery is designed to be drained down and recharged more often than a starting or "normal" battery.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How mny batts do you have, do you have a batt selector switch?

boltonranger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: which battery I need to buy!!!

Re: which battery I need to buy!!!

A big difference between a starting battery and deep cycle is that the plates in the deep cycle battery are thinner and subject to bend or warp when there is a large current draw put on them; as in a when the starter motor engages. Thus they each serve a different purpose.

Here is a pretty good article on what the differences are and why-
http://tinyurl.com/29fkdv7
-br