87 merc. 4cyl. 2stroke has water coming out of top cylinder

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hard to get and stay running,but runs, and haven't pulled plug cover yet ,but can cylinder wall be welded? is it steel sleeved,or all alum? .....bernie

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 87 merc. 4cyl. 2stroke has water coming out of top cylinder

What's the HP of your engine? We almost have all the information we need to get some parts diagrams that will hopefully answer your question. Let me know the HP and I can try and point you in the right direction.

bernieb

Petty Officer 1st Class

The hp is 45 and the model # is ob179711 and also a Mariner not a Merc. bad morning here!!

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did some looking. Here is a link to some diagrams and parts lists for your motor. You may can look up the model number for the block to get an idea of how it was originally machined. I'm sure a marine service shop can answer whether you can patch weld the block, depending on where the leak is.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/335.cfm

The bigger question is this. Are there more leaks? A leak is a symptom of a deeper problem, a crack, a bad seal, something. If you patch what you can see you may be missing other problems you can't see. There may be other leaks.

I'd be careful. It may be time to put this one in the shop and let a mechanic have a look. Those are my thoughts.

skipper123

Seaman

I had water coming out of my top cyl on a 92 40hp merc or so I thought on the river. Once I got a closer look on the trailer it appears to be coming out beside a sensor beside the top spark plug and not the block itself. The sensor is held in with red silicon rubber. All because of a dirt dauber plugging the tell tell hole I guess and building some water pressure. Block may be busted behind the sensor not sure yet.Maybe water is not supposed to come out the sensor hole with it removed ? Im not sure???

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

the rear water jacket cover gasket tends to leak and can appear to be coming out of the cylinder - infact on the intake stroke steam can be sucked into the cylinder thur the spark plug hole . the jacket cover is a bit of a bear - you willlikely be snapping bolts especially if in saltwater - so be prepared to do some drilling and threading - use a press to drill out the snapped bolts and you can drill the hole to one size bigger and retap .