Replace main bearings in rebuild of 1995 70 hp motor?

ChrisMA

Seaman
I started rebuilding my motor tonight and just realized that the rebuild kit from Powerheadkit.com only came with a lower main bearing. My current lower main bearing feels really good as do the two middle main bearings. The upper bearing was completely dry, but very smooth. I actually can't figure out how that upper bearing gets lubricated. Should I replace all 4 bearings or just lube them and put the motor back together?

I guess if the engine was 30+ years old I would replace them all regardless, but this motor does not appear to have a ton of hours on it.

Now I see what the mastertech kits are so expensive...

Chris

buckwheat34

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replace main bearings in rebuild of 1995 70 hp motor?

Every Mechanic or Tech I have talked to say you do not need to replace them if there is no problem with them, signs of wear, heat, etc. My service manual for a Force 50 says you should replace them based on the cost of rebuilding again if one fails. It also says the are relitively inexpensive compared to another rebuild. I'm just starting to rebuild my 1988 Force 50 and decided to replace all the bearings because I what the peace of mind. For this peace I will pay around $200 extra for the rebuild. I agree that some of the bearings are ok to re-use, but I just think it's the right way to do it. Exspecially since I am not an expert and do not want to make a mistke.

Good luck,
buckwheat34

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace main bearings in rebuild of 1995 70 hp motor?

That why Powerheadkit.com kits are priced so low... Same kit as I sell but mine is $160 more as I sell all the bearings.