Enough space for transom mount trolling motor?

KaptainHook

Cadet
Hey all,

Just finished restoring my 1971 Ouachita and put a 15hp mercury 4stroke on it. I am trying to get a transom mount trolling motor for duck season but I may have run into a problem...

I am not experienced with trolling motors but it doesn't look like I'll be able to have my outboard and my trolling motor on the transom at the same time..

What is the width of the mounting bracket for a 40 lb thrust Minn Kota Endura?

With the outboard centered, I only have about 6 inches to mount the bracket and that would still be tight.

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Enough space for transom mount trolling motor?

Yeah, that may not be enough space.

You should be able to mount your 15 hp slightly off center on the boat, if you use it at moderate speed. Give it a try, see if the boat remains stable.

KaptainHook

Cadet

It's a fiberglass boat, what I'm thinking about doing is mounting a 2x4 on the side of the boat and then attaching the trolling motor to that. I want to attach the 2x4 here, on the side.. sorry for the bad picture but i can get another if need be.

e: better picture

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

If you're thinking of doing what I think you are planning, I would advise against it, unless you have driven the boat and looked to make sure you will get no splash from your wake on the wood when using your main motor. If you look at my pics (the boat is upside down on the trailer and my gas motor is off), you will see I had the same idea. The first and only time I took it out like that, the spray from my wake while using my gas motor came up and hit the wood and was splashing in the boat. That piece of wood will be coming off before I take it out again. If your shaft on the motor is long enough I would just come straight up with a 2x6 or 2x8 between the edge of the transom and the gas motor. I would definitely do some checking before trying to mount it like I did. Bad idea for me:(

Attachments

• HPIM0819.jpg
    HPIM0819.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0820.jpg
    HPIM0820.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0

KaptainHook

Cadet

Wishin, I see what you did and I see how that could be bad.. here is what I was thinking...

the orange is the 2x4.. so it is actually ontop of the boat. I don't know if the wake will hit it but I'll definitely do some trial runs before I make anything permanent.

e: forgot picture

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

You can turn the motor on the trolling unit around,and mount it on the bow,and will have better control. i can't picture your seating position,if you mount it where you plan to.

KaptainHook

Cadet

The problem with bow mounting it is I want to do all my controlling from the rear. My captain's seat will be at the rear so I don't want to have to move back and forth... here are some pictures of the boat to give you an idea of what's going on. The trolling motor will be a Minn Kota Endura so the handle will be long enough to reach from my seat.