Chains and winch suggestions...

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
I am not sure of the weights involved on this boat and trailor, so I know this is guessing... I have a 16ft aluminum Starcraft (76' supersport) and a trailor. It has a 55hp and 5.5 motor setup. I am looking to upgrade /replace the winch, safety chain on the trailor to the boat, and the safety chains on the trailor to the truck. All are usuable but I don't like the safety chain on the trailor(connects to bow) as it looks small, hook is crap, and a bit old. Safety chains on trailor have rust, just want new ones. And the winch(strap type) works OK but has rust and strap looks old, and cheap. I am guessing around 2000 lbs but I could be off some. hard to find weights on older equipment and no scales around anywhere I can use. Any thought? Looking at Iboats winches, nothing fancy just dependable and strong enough. Chains I want good ones, just unsure what size to use.....

Last edited:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chains and winch suggestions...

Your hull, 675#
motor, 55 hp evinrude 180#
trailer, 300-400#
battery, gear, fuel, 200-300#

900# winch would probably do it.
You aren't lifting the boat, just pulling it.
The 1500# winches seem to be made better than the smaller ones.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Chains and winch suggestions...

Thanks for the information. As far as the chains go I will use the same or larger welded chain with good hooks. I will look at the 1500 lb winches on Iboats too.