Square plate and mounting template Q's

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Was reading various articles about mounting outboards and setting the prop height. One article mentioned drilling the holes in the transom using the bolt hole template. I have been searching the BRP parts catalog but cannot find a part number for a mounting kit or hole template. Does anyone know if there are templates for the 2003 90 hp V4 Johnson?

How about those square mounting plates that come in a 4 pack. Fairly cheap, was wondering if they are better than regular washers. I am talking about Square Plate part number 0318272. Anyone use them? Know what their dimensions are? Do they work better than regular washers?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Square plate and mounting template Q's

Mark don't have template, we just hang the motor with the cherry picker, and drill right there using the top holes. we do use the plates on the larger motors, washers on the small ones. the holes are on the most part universal.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Square plate and mounting template Q's

TD, How big are the square plates? 2x2 or 3x3? Just looking for something bigger than the common big washer to help spread the load. The 90 Johnson weighs more than the old Force by 50 lbs or more, and I want to reduce the chance of having washers sink into the transom. Although the transom is solid and dry as a bone, the force has made an indentation at the top mounts that are visible (its the old clamp style top mount, not bolts). Could be someone tightened the heck out of the clamps, but regardless, I want to prevent any further compression damage.

Thanks!

Mark.