which prop to use for cruising?

jokaj

Seaman
I have a deckboat that I mainly use for cruising.
I have a 5.0 MPI alpha 1 gen 2.

I have a 3-blade 17" pitch prop that will give me between 4400 -4600 rpm at WOT.

I have a 3-blade 15" pitch prop that will give me between 4600 -4800 rpm at WOT.

I have a 4-blade 15" pitch prop that will give me between 4400 - 4600 rpm at WOT.

The recommended rpm for my engine is 4600-5000. For cruising, should I stick with the 17" or 4 blade 15" for fuel efficiency? or....should I just stick with the 15" 3-blade because it's in the range?

sorry for long post but just curious what your thoughts are...

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: which prop to use for cruising?

Have you tried them all? I assume so, since you list RPM for each. Which one feels the best? Is the 17P sluggish to get you moving? Do you feel like you're over-revving with the others to cruise at the speed you like?

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only one of those props gets you in the correct RPM range.

If you're lugging it at WOT you're lugging it at cruise.

Haffiman

Commander

The top end RPM may not be the most interesting here, but the cruising RPM and speed obtained.
Boat characteristics comes into play.
Both the 4 blade and 17" looks a bit on the heavy side, but only as far as top end goes.
They may work perfectly as cruising props.
The 15" probably gives you a better hole-shot, and I would guess the 4 blade gives you a slightly lower planning speed/threshold compared to the 3-blade 15 and less load than the 17".
If you are after MPG, you need to do some more tests and post.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We need to know the year ,size and dry weight of your boat,and speed in order to tell if your setup is working. best cruising range is that wich produces the most speed for a given throttle setting while still being able to run within rpm range.
You notice I used throttle setting not rpm. Reduced rpm doesn't necessarily
equate to better mileage.
Do you know your gear ratio?I'm no expert on the 5.0 but your prop size seems small to me. Usually a 4 blade will allow you to plane quicker and stay on plane with less throttle setting.Best planing speed could be anywhere from just on plane to several 100 rpm higher. Only way to be sure which prop is a series of tests/speeds
with a top up following, or a flow meter.

45Auto

Commander

roncoop75 said:
Only one of those props gets you in the correct RPM range.

Why do you say that? Depending on what year his 5.0L is, recommended WOT range is either 4200-4600 RPM or 4400-4800 RPM. Every one of those props is within the recommended range.

The 17" pitch will give you the best cruising mileage, for the same reason that high gear gives you the best mileage on your car. The difference will not be much, somewhere around 1/10 or 2/10 of a MPG, and probably impossible to see or measure if you don't have a fuel flow gauge.

jokaj

Seaman

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to do some testing to figure out what the rpm is at the cruising speed I would like to go at. right now it is about 3000 rpm will get me about 25mph, but I don't remember which prop. :confused:

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why do you say that? Depending on what year his 5.0L is, recommended WOT range is either 4200-4600 RPM or 4400-4800 RPM. Every one of those props is within the recommended range.

The recommended rpm for my engine is 4600-5000.

I assumed he got the recommended RPM range like anybody else would, off the engine itself. Guess not. Sorry.

Edit: Ya, any one of those would still work but two would leave you at the bottom of the range.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yes the 17 will likely give the best speed but may require a higher throttle setting
which could reduce the mileage results.
All in all the results are likely difficult to measure and not much different except in the extreme.ie: extremely high or low pitch, poor setup.

Last edited:

jokaj

Seaman

I assumed he got the recommended RPM range like anybody else would, off the engine itself. Guess not. Sorry.

Edit: Ya, any one of those would still work but two would leave you at the bottom of the range.

I got the rpm off the engine.

5.0 MPI - 260 hp
Power 260HP (191 kW)
Full Throttle Range 4600-5000 RPM

Since I don't cruise at full throttle, I guess either prop would work ...shouldn't be to hard on the motor but as you say, two would leave me at the bottom...

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Efficency always the outrdive cost alot of money.........

45Auto

Commander

Yes the 17 will likely give the best speed but may require a higher throttle setting which could reduce the mileage results.

Actually, the higher throttle setting is what delivers the better fuel mileage. A given speed requires a given amount of power. For a higher pitched prop to deliver the same amount of power at a lower RPM, it requires more torque. Only way to increase the torque of your engine is to open the throttle wider. The wider throttle opening reduces the pumping losses in your engine and delivers better fuel economy.

That's the reason Totota switched from an Otto cycle to an Atkinson cycle engine in the 2010 Prius.

http://www.allaboutprius.com/blog/1014183_the-priuss-not-so-secret-gas-mileage-secrets

The 12- to 14-percent gain in efficiency versus an Otto-cycle engine is mainly due to the reduction in pumping losses, or the amount of energy needed simply to suck air into the cylinders and then expel spent exhaust gases.

This website has a simplified explanation of how pumping losses affect an otto-cycle spark ignition engine if you've ever had a thermodynamics course and understand a P-V diagram.

http://www.mechadyne-int.com/vva-reference/part-load-pumping-losses-si-engine

When operating at part load the throttle restricts the airflow into the engine, reducing the volumetric efficiency, and as a result the air pressure in the intake manifold falls significantly below atmospheric pressure. In order to draw air from the manifold into the cylinder, the piston is required to do work against the manifold depression and this is termed pumping work (Strictly speaking, the work done by the piston is a result of the pressure differential between that of the manifold and the crankcase).

One of the major reasons a diesel is more efficient than a spark-ignition engine is because the diesel doesn't have a throttle in the air intake reducing it's efficiency. Speed regulation in a diesel is controlled solely by the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder.

From
http://www.hybrid-vehicle.org/hybrid-vehicle-ice.html

Pumping losses are caused by the way power output from a petrol "Otto" engine is regulated. It is regulated by controlling, or rather constricting airflow to the engine. This constriction of airflow creates partial vacuum (low pressure) in the inlet manifold. Maintaining this "low pressure" in the inlet manifold wastes energy.

One reason for diesel "Otto"-engines being more effective than the corresponding petrol engines is because there is no pumping loss in a diesel as power is regulated by injecting less fuel into the cylinders and not by choking the airflow to the cylinders.

http://prius.ecrostech.com/original/Understanding/InternalCombustion.htm

Sources of Inefficiency
To improve on the efficiency of the Otto Cycle engine, it is first necessary to understand where inefficiency arises.

Partial Power
A modern Otto cycle engine tends to be most efficient at 40% to 45% of its "red-line" r.p.m. and 70% to 80% of its peak torque. At higher r.p.m., friction losses in fast-moving engine parts increases. At lower torque, the engine suffers most from what is termed "pumping loss" (discussed below). At the efficiency "sweet spot", the engine produces around 40% of its rated peak power.

I realize that this concept eludes most people and it's a waste of time trying to explain it here, QC and I have gone over it a few hundred times in the last 5 or 6 years. If you're really interested take some thermo courses, or at least google "otto cycle pumping losses" or "otto cycle efficiency". But I was bored and figured I might as well copy and paste some old posts into this thread for you! ;)