Did i destroy my Impeller?

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a compression check earlier this week.

I warmed the engine up on the muffs at idle.

Then i turned the water supply off because i didn't want to get all wet while i took out the plugs and readied the engine for the compression check.

I never turned the water on while i turned over the engine 6 times for approx 4 secs each time to test the compression. Which btw, was 120psi on all three cylinders!

Did i destroy my impeller? Since i don't have a tell tale(70el77s), how can i check(beyond installing a tell tale, which i will do later) that my impeller is good?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Did i destroy my Impeller?

I really doubt that you have destroyed the impeller just by checking compression and not actually running the motor. However, you should run the motor on the muffs again and touch the head after about two minutes of running (at idle). You should be able to hold a finger on the head for 2 -3 seconds at least with out getting burned. I think the temp should be about 140 degrees or so.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Most compression test that I have done, are done without the motor in water. Your impeller will be fine. Just never start it up without it in the water. As the other poster said, keep an eye on it the next time you start if up if you want to be sure.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ran the hose last night and started it up.

I could hold my hand on the head for 10 or so seconds before it felt like it was going to burn my hand after idling for 3 minutes or so.

So i'm fairly certain the water pump is working properly.

Also made sure i could start it with the emergency pull rope...just to make sure just in case. Ya just never know when that starter might go out. I don't know about when it's cold, but when its warm, she starts right up no problem on the rope.

Thanks guys!