Attwood Tsunami 500GPH

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My primary bilge failed this year. It was a 350 PGH that came with the boat.
I have an new Attwood Tsunami 500GPH that someone gave me.

Should I put it in or pick up a different brand? Are they reliable?

It would be wired to a float switch.

My secondary pump is 750GPH.
The boat is a 18ft open bow.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Attwood Tsunami 500GPH

My 2 cents, since you asked... :D

I always looked at Attwood (and SeaSense) as bargain products that fall into the 'get-what-you-paid-for' category. However, Attwood is carried (almost exclusively) by Wal-Mart, of which there are thousands of stores. And many of those stores are in locations where boaters don't have access to a West Marine or similar store down the street, or even within 100 miles. With that in mind, there have got to be hundreds of thousands of Attwood products installed in boats throughout the country that are performing as expected.

Attwood would not be my first choice, but I think it would be fine in the interim. Heck, it was free. Use it until it fails, and then replace it with a brand with a reputation as being a better quality unit. Probably will outlast all of us!

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Ive got a 500 Tsunmai and 2 regular 1250 attwoods. Never had any problems out of any of them. The 2 1250's are 20 years old and the 500 Tsunmai is just a couple of years old. Also have a 800 Tsunmai but its just a spare. Another boat has a rule 500 with a float, not had any problems out of it either.

I personally like Attwoods, its all I buy..

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have used Mayfair,Attwood and Rule, couldn't really tell a difference with any of them and the only reason I changed them out was because I came across a newer one.

I think the only one that actually failed was a Mayfair but that was because I bunped the switch and it ran for a long time wiht no water.

If you have it use it.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've gone through 3 bilge pumps in 9 years. The last one lasted less than 1 full year. My Lund Alaskan came with an Attwood 350gph. It kept sucking up bits of weeds, line and zebra mussels and popping fuses and eventually fried. I replaced it with an Attwood 500gph. It kept sucking up bits of weeds, line and zebra mussels and popping fuses so I put a post on here and a few other websites and it was suggested that I wrap it in plastic/vinyl screen like for a doorwall. Not metal so it won't rust. OK did that. Worked great a couple years then fried. I said no more Attwood and got a Rule750gph. that was the last one and it just fell apart. The little pin that the impeller attaches to disintegrated. The impeller fell off and there is no way it will go back on so now I'm looking at bilge pump #4.

What is the absolute BEST brand? At this point I'll spend whatever it takes.

NYBo

Admiral

Snowman, how is all that stuff getting into the bilge? Bilge pumps are designed to move relatively clear water, not trash.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I've gone through 3 bilge pumps in 9 years. The last one lasted less than 1 full year. My Lund Alaskan came with an Attwood 350gph. It kept sucking up bits of weeds, line and zebra mussels and popping fuses and eventually fried. I replaced it with an Attwood 500gph. It kept sucking up bits of weeds, line and zebra mussels and popping fuses so I put a post on here and a few other websites and it was suggested that I wrap it in plastic/vinyl screen like for a doorwall. Not metal so it won't rust. OK did that. Worked great a couple years then fried. I said no more Attwood and got a Rule750gph. that was the last one and it just fell apart. The little pin that the impeller attaches to disintegrated. The impeller fell off and there is no way it will go back on so now I'm looking at bilge pump #4.

What is the absolute BEST brand? At this point I'll spend whatever it takes.

How is all that junk getting in the bilge? No small bilge pump is going to digest much more than dirty water.