winterizing 120hp force motor

ddstinman

Recruit
I have a 1999 120 hp force engine, I moved to wisconsin this year and am concerned about leftover cylinderhead and jacket water freezing, how do you get all the water out, any info would help ?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: winterizing 120hp force motor

Pretty hard to get all the water out. I don't think that there is enough water in there to do any damage. I've had mine for 3 + years and never done anything special to get rid of the water during the winter. I know some guys will remove the small pipe plug just above the thermostat housing on the block and pour antifreeze in there to help prevent any freeze damage.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Outboards will drain just fine if left in the vertical position.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

You wont have any problems with cracking the engine block. There is a spray to winterize the engine. The procedure is done while engine is running and spraying into each carb I forgot what the stuff was called I only used it once. (Don't need it this year because my engine is down) Another good idea would be to change the lube in the lower unit to assure there is no water in it to prevent damage to the lower unit in freezing temperatures. I store my boat under the carport uncovered and spray bug spray in the interior every few months to keep the critters to a minimum.