should i buy this?

should i buy this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at a 2000 40hp 4 stroke Bigfoot as a replacement for my 50hp evinrude. Are there any problems with these motors? What should I be looking for when I go to look at it? Can you put a Bigfoot motor on a bay boat what?s the deference between normal motor and a Bigfoot. It?s a consignment motor at a dealer. They?re asking $2000 is that a bit much or is it me? It doesn't come with controls. Does any one know how much they cost.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: should i buy this?

I don't think I'd run a bigfoot on anything but a toon.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I'm not familiar enough with the bigfoot series to say buy or don't buy. I can say this. I looked up 6 different 40 HP Merc variants from the year 2000. The average retail on them all was around $1000. So, whether it is a good motor or not, they're asking about twice what it's worth. I would keep looking around if I were you. Boating season is nearing an end. Watch the classifieds in your area. Lots of people will likely be dumping gear soon. I'm willing to bet you can do better.

Put it this way. I just bought a 15' fiberglass bass rig with a 50HP ELPTO for $1500 for the boat, motor, and trailer. $2000 is just too high.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought the price was kinda up there too but up in the northeast every thing cost alot of money.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point. That may be more in line with costs for your area. it just seems a bit much to ask double the nationIal average. I got my numbers from NADA. Shop around and see what you can find to compare it too. Or come to Texas and get something cheaper. :)

Mi duckdown

Commander

What is the difference between a Big foot and regular motors? The gears heavy duty?
Many be I'm old school? We ran all kinds of motors on pontoons???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I believe it's the gear ratio that's different.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have a look at the Mercury website??

Dave

milehighboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

gearing is different, they are geared a bit lower so a larger diameter prop can be installed. It reduces prop slip when pushing big bulky things like a pontoon. They were not made for speed.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Big foot motors were designed for pontoons and larger slower boats. The gear ratios are different. They are designed to turn larger props like those found on work boats and pontoons. Why are you wanting to get rid of the Evinrude? $2000. seems like alot of money when you can buy a boat with the same motor around here for $1500.00

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guy is willing to sell for 1300 bucks still i am nervis. I want something that i can troll with and not get smoked off the boat but on the same token when I am done I like to get home in a timely manner.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

That motor wont be good on your boat. Still havnt stated why you want out of the evinrude?

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had bad luck with the evinrude and there are no reputable dealers in my area with out driving way out of my way. I drained the lower and siver and peaces of gear came out with it. Its not worth a new lower unit to me. if i buy a new motor I want a 4 stroke this time.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

I would recommend looking for a good used honda. or suzuki. to bad your not close to me Id give ya a break on the rebuild just to keep you away from mercury ;)

bktheking

Vice Admiral

As long as I can run 2 stroke I will NEVER buy a 4 stroke, ETEC would be my motor choice.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did find a etec it was a 08 new in the box. The dealer wanted $5300. I would think you can bolt one of those on and jest go with it? Its more then i wanted to spend. I dont know if thats a good price or if thats worth the investment.

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Thats a good price and if you have the meens then I highly recommend the etech. You want a motor that is quiet reliable andpower when needed then that is it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Etec's don't require a break in period, if you go with it just make sure it carries the full warranty cause of the year. Guy here at work's buddy bought one last year, he loves it.