1980 80 hp mercury

stickerhill

Cadet
I have a 80 hp mercury that I just bought in June. It needed a lot of TLC when I bought it. It had to be started with starting fluid when I got it. I have since overhauled the carbs, installed new hoses from the tank to the carbs, new primer bulb. After doing the carbs it would start fine and restart all day long but the idle was 1400 rpm and would die if you put it in gear with the motor in a tank. I rechecked everything twice looking for an air leak. All checked fine. Started looking at timing, found idle timing to be 16 to 17 degrees BTDC. Set the .464 mark with dial indicator and adjusted the pointer, it was out about 2 degrees. started the motor and tried to adjust the timing at idle in fwd gear to the book spec of 2 degrees. I got it to 4 degrees (I was running out of adjustment). Now it will start when cold (Idel is down to 1000 rpm now) and go into gear but restarting is a bear and it's hit or miss on dying when trying to advance throttle. Compression on all cylinders is good 125 - 130 psi. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1980 80 hp mercury

Have you done the link & sync procedure as outlined in your manual? It must be done exactly in the steps given.

slyhatch

Seaman Apprentice

Have you adjusted your throttle linkage and idle screw on the throttle adjustment?

stickerhill

Cadet

Yes I've checked the throttle rigging 3 times now, they were out in the beginning. Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those motors usually have plenty of adjustment. Did you disconnect the throttle cable to help with the idle pickup timing adjustment?