2004 Larson SEI Tach Issue

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,

As i am new to boating (just purchased my first boat a month ago!) i don't know where to begin with my tach issue...

The engine is a 4.3L Volvo Penta and everything runs great and all gauges (except for the tach) work fine. Could this be a fuse? I get no reading at all with the tach, which makes me think it could be a fuse...any help would be greatly appreciated!

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 2004 Larson SEI Tach Issue

You need to get the manual, put in a shout out, maybe someone will shoot you the tach wiring for your motor. The tach, if wired wrong can cause non start, so get the whole story.
Sorry, I have a different brand, so I can't tell you the right wires.

Bondo

Staff member

The engine is a 4.3L Volvo Penta and everything runs great and all gauges (except for the tach) work fine.

Ayuh,... And for any help from those who know,...
They'll want the Full model designation of the motor...

pec2402

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice!

The engine is a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL (carb engine, NOT fuel injected). If anyone has a diagram to send, that would be extremely helpful...i'm literally lost when it comes to the wiring.

All suggestions welcome...thanks again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should have 4 wires on the back of the tach. There is no fuse for the tach only.
Purple = 12V power from key switch.
Black = Ground
Blue = inst light
Gray = signal wire from coil.

Check that you have power and ground to the tach, if that is ok, then remove your gray wire and run the engine. If you show voltage on the gray wire with engine running, you need a new tach.