new to outboards

jdangler

Recruit
I am new to outboard motors and boating in general, I bought a bass boat with an 81 evinrude 50hp electric start motor on it...took it the lake a couple of times and it ran great...last weekend motor would start and run but would die as soon as it went into gear...after doing quite a bit of searching thru the forum I am compiling a list of things to look at on the motor and it won't die when the ignition switch is turned off

buy manual
rebuild carbs
adjust idle rpm
check compression
replace spark plugs (done)
replace fuel line and primer bulb (done)

after reading several of the threads on the forum this is what I have come up with if anyone has anything else to suggest I am all ears

jdangler

Recruit
Re: new to outboards

manual purchased, thanks for the link

do I need to do the impeller the motor "pees" quite hard

RadarRick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're still in boating season, I wouldn't rush to replace it as long as you watch it often to ensure good tell tale flow.

However, if you don't know when it was last replaced, it's worth doing as it could fail anytime, leaving you with much bigger problems.

Maybe a winter project?

Kit_B

Seaman Apprentice

I know this may seem nuts, but how old is your gas?
Air or fuel filter?
I wouldn't jump to modifying the expensive stuff, before you think about all the little things.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

manual purchased, thanks for the link

do I need to do the impeller the motor "pees" quite hard

Yes. An impeller needs to be replaced when it is "working great", since the alternative is for it to fail, overheat your motor and blow a gasket, cylinder or both.

Once you know when it was replaced, I tend to give them about 5 years before I replace them again. Others tend to have even shorter schedules for it.

jdangler

Recruit

I know this may seem nuts, but how old is your gas?
Air or fuel filter?
I wouldn't jump to modifying the expensive stuff, before you think about all the little things.

I removed the plastic housing that covers the carbs..there is no air filter in there where it seemed like one should be? I don't know if one is required

fuel filter...doesn't seem to be one in line anywhere

fuel pump appears to have been replaced at some point...

gas is new

jdangler

Recruit

Ordered manual, rebuilt and cleaned carbs..the float seat needles were almost nonexistant...put carbs back on, motor started so easy it almost scared me, went to the lake...took off to favorite spot...at about half throttle boat died..motor feels "locked" came home and my observations are this:

1. flywheel will not turn
2. top sparkplug slightly wet cylinder coated with carbon
3. bottom sparkplug dry looks burnt cylinder walls clean...

I am at a loss there was water coming through the motor...it was peeing and it really wasn't that hot...I could rest my hand on it after it died

thoughts, ideas? I have 500 in the boat and motor plus some misc parts to get it going can a locked motor be saved without spending serious $?