20 Berty wants to be mini CC26

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys-
Greetings from the Northeast, Ct to be exact. I have purchased my 20 Bahia Mar last December while hunting for parts, for boat #2 my wife found her not to far from home on a decent trailer. Well he had a "buyer from the Bahamas", It was near Christmas and I new his wife hated it sitting in front of his house. He was a great guy, and I'm pretty stuborn, so I had the Boat home in less than a week I dont think the other guy existed:rolleyes: I had to let her sit because I was selling boat #1. I was repairing boat #2 and The Berty had to wait, until now!! The big boat #1 is gone and I finished #2 on the last day of school (kidz) I did a total gut out redo stringers, glass, foam, ext ply w/resin floor, more glass, paint and done., Oh the entire gimbal housing removed replaced, along with belows, bearings, cables you name it etc.. Yeah a real picnic, but the little bowrider will be great for years. I plan on giving it to my son. He got his PWC license when he was 9 years old. He is 11 now and a teriffic kid top grades, and he deserves much better.

Back to the Berty
I have taken out the glass fuel tank. I will repair the walk around part of the deck rebed fittings paint or re gelcoat. I want to carefully remove the gelcoat/glass cockpit floor, repair if needed then replace it, before I reinstall
the floor,
I will put in two stringer poly fuel tanks about 40 gal each side. The reason is so I can turn the center hatch where the glass fuel tank used to live into a fish hold/storage. Then install a 350 V8 maybe a low 350HP stroker w/alpha 1 . I would like a hard top after these mods are complete. I'm concerned with the weight so I may try using an LS1 aluminum engine, marineized of course w/FWC I would appreciate any suggestions/Ideas. All I have is the alpa set up and some V8 stuff I'm accumulating. Bravo is possible but trying to stay sane on budget. New pix soon I just removed the tank.
Chow for now,:D:cool::D
Jeff

Attachments

• 3n93oc3l25Qf5P35Rf9bdfad077d531f9154d.jpg
    3n93oc3l25Qf5P35Rf9bdfad077d531f9154d.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2256.jpg
    IMG_2256.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Tunacious.jpg
    Tunacious.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 20 Berty wants to be mini CC26

I'm concerned with the weight so I may try using an LS1 aluminum engine, marineized of course w/FWC

Ayuh,... That motor has Never been used in a boat,...
The parts to marinize it Don't exist...

I'd be more concerned about movin' the 80gal.s of fuel forward,+ the weight of a fishbox so far forward...

CTJeff

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 20 Berty wants to be mini CC26

Bondo-
Thanks for reading, good points, the power isn't deffinite, I just like HP. I'm sure someone out there has used or makes a Marine LS1 some where.

(No affiliation I just found these with a couple of key strokes)
http://www.waspaust.co.nz/Chev6.html
or
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/931024-my-ls1-powered-ski-boat.html

As you know there are plenty of options for power,(a yanmar is pricey) but you see where I'm going here. You did get me thinking about the balance of weight. I could leave the hatch where it is and have the inside box offset back. Hopfully the box would be full of fish but not probable,(I'm a great wisherman not a great fisherman,:rolleyes: it could also double as an emty cooler :D).
As for the fuel tanks, I just want more than 32 gal that came with the boat.
What is the best way to figure the balance of weight out? The outdrive is constant. Original I-6 engine is 500lbs?-SBC 600lbs? (less with some aluminum or LS1) Full original fuel tank 32 gal /1 gal fuel @ ?= lbs plus glass tank.
The last thing I want to do is screw up the boat.
Thanks, Jeff

Last edited: