Epoxy Resin Deck Repair

designcoup

Recruit
I have taken off the central deck section of a 70s Lucraft runabout. The stringers and foam seem okay. I have left a lip edge to keep the project manageable (did not want to remove flotation box-beam that follows the hull joint).

I plan to use epoxy resin and marine ply. My questions are around the specifics:

1. How should I seal the plywood prior to installation?

2. Should I screw in the plywood or bed in epoxy/filler?

3. Is there value in removing old foam if it seems okay? Or adding mix-in foam?

4. What layers/weight of epoxy resin/cloth do you recommend for the top? I plan to use US Composites resin and cloth.

5. Finally, the cause of the problem was leaking water through poorly mounted seats. The bilge channel was full of water with nowhere to go. Should I drill a hole into the splash well to drain this channel?

232323232%7Ffp%3A9%3A%3Enu%3D3235%3E2%3C4%3E%3B%3B%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B67877%3C2339nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B7%3Enu%3D3235%3E2%3C4%3E%3B%3B%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B67842%3B8339nu0mrj

Thanks for your support,
Bruce M
Atlanta

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Epoxy Resin Deck Repair

Bruce,
Welcome to iBoats!
Nice work so far! While you have her apart, drill some exploratory holes in your stringers to make sure they are solid. You can fill em will 3M 5200 if you find they are. You should get light tan dry shavings from the drill. If not then you will have to replace. How long was the water in the hull?? If it's been there for any amount of time you might need to check your transom as well. Yes you should do what you can to allow any water that gets below the deck to flow to the bilge and be able to drain out the drain tube or be removed by a bilge pump. Can't tell from your pic's exactly how your boat is set up back there. As for your deck. You do not have to use Marine Ply. You can, but Most of the guys on here use Plain ext. grade ply wood. If you coat it with epoxy and then use a layer of 1 1/2 oz mat on the bottom and then another coat of epoxy it will last longer than you will have the boat. For the top side I would recommend coating with epoxy and then a layer of 1708 biax cloth. This will give you a nice finished deck that will be super strong. I would used thickened epoxy and heavy weights (Concrete Blocks) to attach the deck to the stringers. Use thickened epoxy to fillet the deck to the sides and then use 12" 1708 biax to tab the deck to the sides. Do a search on the forum for Deck Replacement and you will see a LOT of ways to do your deck replacement. I'm sure others will give you their advice as well. This is just how I would do it. US Composites IS a good source for your materials. LOTS of guys on here use them. Bottom line is, it's your boat and you can do it anyway you want.

I'm just sayin...:D

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Woodonglass, you seem to be the guy to consult re: deck repair. Every thread I read your right in there with good advice,(hope you don't mind a "PM" every now & then if I have problems). This is another thread that I will be keeping a close eye on, as Designcoup, you are a few steps ahead of me so this will be perfect for me. I've never done this before & to watch/read how someone else is doing it will help out a ton. Please update your progress & post up picture's if possible. Tanx, Maxx

designcoup

Recruit

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have been in denial about the stringers, but I will perform exploratory drilling and report back. This was a $900 boat that a couple of 13 year olds purchased with their savings. It is now pulls a wakeboard.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Bruce M.