Towed 2 boats in less than 1 month

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice
I ended up towing a 20-22' Thompson back to a boat launch yesterday with my 16' Sugar Sand. Labor day weekend, I towed a 21' Searay as well.

I've been out of boating for quite sometime until late this summer but up until this point had never towed or been towed. 2 in 1 month seems excessive.

Of course, I'd rather tow than have to be towed...

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Towed 2 boats in less than 1 month

what comes around, goes around.... keep up with the good deeds man.... someday you'll get to cash them in...

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

lack of money in peoples accounts means lack of mantainence for the boats ????

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I ended up towing a 20-22' Thompson back to a boat launch yesterday with my 16' Sugar Sand. Labor day weekend, I towed a 21' Searay as well.

I towed 3 different boats in one day last month! (with my sugar sand tango... ;) ) Two were disabled jetski's, one was a pontoon stuck on a sandbar that I needed to pull off.

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice

lack of money in peoples accounts means lack of mantainence for the boats ????

Perhaps. The Thompson appeared well taken care of. I'm not even sure what was wrong with it. I just saw the guy paddling and I figured I'd lend a hand. It was a short tow...less than half mile.

I towed 3 different boats in one day last month! (with my sugar sand tango... ;) ) Two were disabled jetski's, one was a pontoon stuck on a sandbar that I needed to pull off.

That Tango is getting a workout! I'm sure having fun on mine. I'm assuming you used a long rope to pull the pontoon off the sandbar???

Mainiac Boater

Seaman Apprentice

what comes around, goes around.... keep up with the good deeds man.... someday you'll get to cash them in...

Lets hope so...maybe I'll get my reward by having a long-life reliable boat that never needs a tow!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

That Tango is getting a workout! I'm sure having fun on mine. I'm assuming you used a long rope to pull the pontoon off the sandbar???

actually only need about 10 feet of rope or so. this particular sandbar had a nearly vertical transition. It went from 10 feet deep to 3 inches in a matter of about 2 horizontal feet. The pontoon hit it at full throttle and stopped just after the motor kicked up from the sandbar.

One thing you will want to do is get some decent heavy rope with heavy gauge clips on the end. Tow from BOTH the lower hooks if you pulling off a sandbar. (towing from the ski-pylon is fine for regular towing duty, it steers MUCH better in fact since the pylon is on the rotation center of the boat)