1975 70 hp Evinrude Cleaning vs Rebuilding the Carb's

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I was wondering if someone could tell me the differance between cleaning and rebuilding carbs. As I look at it cleaning is just that, taking the carbs off cleaning them with some carb cleaner and putting them back on, rebuilding is using a rebuilding kit for the carb's and replacing certain parts. So when someone says to me that the carbs need cleaning thats one thing, but when someone says to me rebuildI I'm looking at buy a kit.

Mav

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1975 70 hp Evinrude Cleaning vs Rebuilding the Carb's

the only way to do it correctly is to remove the jets, and clean, then reassembly with a new carb kit. also replace all fuel line hoses, with alcohol resistant hoses.

READ "THE TOP SECRET FILE"

Haffiman

Commander

It varies somewhat from carb type to carb type what may be needed.
Some clean the carbs before every season and it is hardly needed to change all the parts in a kit.
Some have not cleaned out for 20 years, kits are to be recommend.
The only main difference between rebuild and a proper cleaning is the changing of parts.
That said, some carbs , even if fitted with latest alcohol resistant parts should have certain gaskets changed at every dismantling, even if yearly.
All Evinrude/Johnson carbs with a small gasket in center (like on your engine) should have that gasket changed.
If that gasket has the slightest leak and/or have been compressed, the carb will not work properly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you use what is necessary out of the kit. you will not use all the parts, as they are packed for several different carbs.

as i said the proper way!! do it 1/2 way you get 1/2 way results.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should do complete rebuild if removed to clean, including at least new gaskets.

Carbs can be cleaned without removing them. There is a bowl plug and accessible main jet for this purpose. Cleaning is not a substitute for a needed rebuild, but a rebuild is not always required as many insist.