Steering problem

zing

Seaman Apprentice
Teleflex rotary cable steering.
I just had a problem on the water where the steering wheel makes a click click sound while trying to turn left. If I drop it out of gear it will turn left, back to center and right but while underway even at headway speed it will click and not turn left. Seems like something is getting stuck from center to left. The coils on the helm side of the cable look ok so it may be the steering box. I cleaned the tilt tube a month ago but was not able to gett the cable all the way out of the tube should I be disconnecting it at the helm to remove the rod from the tilt tube?

How difficult is it to replace the cable, Hydra-sports ocean skiff 20?

How about u-flex vs teleflex, any opinions there? I read somewhere that the U-flex has a better steering box. Hydralic just ain't gonna happen.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Steering problem

Sometimes due to the limited space on transoms and the bend that the steering cables are required to make ..... you might have to unbolt the motor and slide the motor to the side to obtain the clearance.

If you have to replace the cable the length of the cable "should be" incorporated in the number's printed on it.

I have a u-flex system and I like it allot.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Sounds like your helm is worn out so you may get by with just replacing that if you don't want to do the entire system.

You nee to pull the cable at the helm and see what shape it is in but I would imagine the worm gear would wear before the steel winds on the cable.

zing

Seaman Apprentice

The cable looks pretty good, I've got to get the grease off and thoroughly instpect it. I managed to get the helm apart (teleflex safe-t) just to see what was going on in there. 4 teeth are broken on large gear so that's the problem. I realize these cannot be repaired and will replace the helm with either a Teleflex NFB 4.2 or Uflex.

Will the Uflex helm use the existing teleflex cable? Thought they might be universal.

Is is common for just the helm to fail? The reason I ask is this happened about 2 weeks after I'd attempted to clean the tilt tube which was real clean anyway. I could not get the cable end all the way out of the tube and tried to manipulate the cable, pushing it down into the boat to get the end free. I realize now that I should have disconnected it from the helm first. This is a very thick cable and I really don't think I bent it.