Trailer Bearing Replacement

hbradle

Recruit
I have a Highlander light weight trailer for my 16' Hobie Cat that needs it's bearings replaced. The wheels are non-brake straight forward type.
I removed the spindle nuts and tugged at the wheels... but the bearings didn't work loose on either side.
The trailer have been sitting unused by a friend and there is some rust in and around bearings. However the bearings themselves do move...(not well on one side of the trailer)...but they do move.
Am I missing something else that is holding the bearing chase in place?
Or is it just the rust and I need to take some other action to free the bearings?
I didn't want start in with a hammer before I heard from some other experiences.
Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Bearing Replacement

Usually, once you remove the nut and washer behind it, that's all that holds the bearings.

Once you get the outer bearing off the spindle, then you still need to pull quite firmly on the hub because the inner bearing is larger than the seal. Worse case, you may need to destroy the seal--but you were going to put on a new one anyway--and hammer off the inner cone.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

If that doesn't work, smack the backside of the rim(lip) with a rubber mallet. And don't be shy...;)

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a similar situation with my boat trailer. The trailer i got was also sitting in water for years and was exposed to the elements. My bearings were extremely rusted and the races were not going to easily come out. You can either use a chisel or a flathead to loosen the race. I had to use a pipe to cover more surface area and i had to hit it about 20 times to loosen it. If your race comes out with 2 or 3 hits then your hub needs to be replaced.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya that should come right off, all that holds it on is the nut so I am with Wimusky, start whacking it with a rubber mallet as you spin the hub, I woud use 50 small hits rather than 10 big ones just so you don't mes anything up.

When you are putting the new bearings in be very careful not to over tighten the nut, nothing kills bearings faster than running too tight.