Can't get aft motor mount bolt out

Rod Holder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi,<br /><br />I'm back again hoping to get some great advice (which I always do).<br /><br />I/m going to remove my 470 Merc and replace with a rebuilt of the same. I'm down to the mount bolts now. The front was no problem, as was the port aft mount bolt. The starboard aft bolt will turn approx. 1/4 turn and stops, feels spring loaded. There must be rubber insulator in there ?<br /><br />Should I just munch down a bowl of Wheaties and use a breaker bar ?<br /><br />Thanks in advance...........RH

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Can't get aft motor mount bolt out

Yep,<br />And if the Breakerbar isn't Enough, Put a Pipe on It....

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

rod, sounds like the bolt is siezed in the rubber mount, try an impact wrench if you have one.then go for the wheaties.good luck

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Make sure you soak it first so you dont snap something

dick

Chief Petty Officer

If that bolt feels like its spring loaded its probbly siezed in the rubber mount from salt corrosion and no amount of wd-40 will help.Just go HE-MAN on it and hope it breaks loose.

Rod Holder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input guys. Before I went in for dinner I had a little talk with that bolt.<br /><br />After dinner, I walked out to the boat and did my best weight lifter pose. The one where you clasp your hands and shake like you just got hit with<br />220 Volts. Impressive I thought, but my neighbor<br />did'nt get it. :rolleyes: <br /><br />To clear the engine, I had to use about 16" of socket extensions. This made for a awkward and wobbely turn on the breaker bar, and of course socket popped off bolt head sending most of my setup into the bilge. <br /><br />I think tomorrow I'll try soaking bolt with a heat gun (along with a Tarzan yell at just the right moment)<br /><br />Have a good one..........RH

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to give you my secret weapon info but DON'T TELL ANYONE ok? :eek: <br /><br />Offer your wife a $200 Gift Certificate for Walmart if she gets the bolt out, then get the heck out of the way as quickly as possible.<br /><br />No special tools required.<br /><br />They get in there and rip the (beepn) engine up right out of the floor joists, with one hand, then extract the bolt with their TEETH! :D <br /><br />PB customerservice@401hosting.com <br /><br />Done!<br />PS: If you are really pressed for time raise your offer to $205.00