TLDI 50 PTT Pivot Pin Corrosion

pongy

Seaman Apprentice
Quick question for the Tohatsu Guru's on here
I have a 2010 TLDI 50 that I bought back in march this year, The lower pivot pin for the PTT is staring to corrode quite badly, I am wondering if this would be considered a warranty claim or not?
Any advice appreciated, I have sent an email to the dealer about it and waiting for his reply

Brooker2.jpg

Brooker4.jpg

pvanv

Admiral
Re: TLDI 50 PTT Pivot Pin Corrosion

Odd discoloration. And the anode seems to be fine. If a closer inspection shows that the pin is indeed corroded, it may be a warranty repair. However, from the photos, I can't tell whether it's actually corroding, or just discoloration. Your dealer can inspect it for you and let you know.

pongy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Paul
I had a better look today and this is definitely rusted, I put a magnet on the pin and it stuck very well
Why they would use steel on a part that is very exposed to the elements is beyond me, I will wait to see what Tohatsu Australia have to say about it and if they wont come to the party I will source a stainless pin from somewhere
This is pretty disappointing on a motor that has only done 11 hours

RustyPin.jpg

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Anodized steel shouldn't do that unless the boat is kept in the water and/or the anode is incorrectly attached. Pull the anode off and make sure that there is no paint barrier interfering with it. Also, an aluminum hull can do some odd things to an outboard if there is a lot of electrical discharge in the water. Regardless, I'll forward the picture to Tohatsu for an opinion.

pongy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Elvin
I will know more once I find out what Tohatsu Australia intend to do about it if anything
Edit, You may be on to something Elvin, I pulled the anode off and the motor is painted where the anode bolts on although I would have thought that the bolts that mount it would give a good enough connection
Also there is a wire going from the anode to the bottom of the PTT ram, I wonder if the pin is acting as the anode somehow
Oh and the boat is kept on the trailer and all the wiring has it's own earth back to the battery which I disconnect when not in use

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Don't clean the paint off. You need to show that to the dealer so they can verify that to Tohatsu Australia. You are correct about the bolts still allowing a connection, but after this get settled I would still remove the paint for a better connectivity. Also, you need to be aware that Tohatsu Australia buys their engines without a factory warranty(they get a better price) and is solely responsible for what they cover and don't cover under warranty.

pongy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Elvin
I have heard that about Tohatsu Australia and the warranty
Just out of interest do you or Paul know what a new pin would cost? in case I have to go down that path
I may even look into getting a stainless pin made up

pvanv

Admiral

In the event that Tohatsu Australia does not consider it a warranty problem, a new pin is available in the States: 3R0771011M CYLINDER PIN, LOWER $29.97

pongy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Paul
I guess it's just a waiting game now

pongy

Seaman Apprentice

Just an update to this, Tohatsu Australia have accepted this as a warranty claim so I am happy with that