1977 21' Wellcraft looking to buy

NYBo

Admiral
Re: 1977 21' Wellcraft looking to buy

That sounds a bit pricey for 33-year-old boat that they admit is a fixer-upper. Maybe start the bargaining at $1500?

a70eliminator

Captain

Yea that's about what I was thinking, somewhere around 1000 Hopefully they just want to get it off the lot before winter.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wellcraft makes a high quality boat, and I like that rig also. Looks like it could take rough water well, which would be good for Erie. But I agree that I think you could get the price down a good bit, especially since the the dealer is looking at having to store it for the winter soon.

Good Luck bargaining!!

DC20

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think it's been sitting there for a while.
"2009 WINTER PROJECT = 2010 LAKE ERIE FISHING MACHINE!"

skargo

Banned

Sure looks like a V20 steplift, awesome boats!

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks skargo, that'l give something for a keyword search.
I just got back from looking over the boat in person, the pictures certainly do make it look better than it does in person.
It looks like it's been sitting out uncovered for a couple years, all the wood is rotted but at least the deck appears to fiberglass, the top side rails have alot of holes probably downriggers and rod holders ect, most of the hardware items are all rusted and corroded, this boat needs a total restore.
The trailer is almost in ruins the crossmembers are bent the rollers shot surge brake master cylinder and mechanism badly rusted.
Under the hood there is an animal nest around one whole side of the engine, looks like insulation and pine needles, smells like varnish in the fuel tanks.
The guy said his boys pretty much run the buisness but were out at the moment, this is a pretty large establishment they were quite buisy, I made an offer of 1,250 which is half the asking price, but now I'm not sure if should have even offered that much.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I would bet the dealer paid/trade in value of $500 or less.

brielly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The v20 is a great boat. I just sold mine for a bigger boat but will surely miss it. You said the wood is rotten? What wood? Check the following items carefully: deck- any soft spots? if so the stringers below may be rotten. Transom- Tilt the motor up a bit and stand on it, bounce up and down. Any flex and its probably rotten. Check for cracks in the splashwell as they indicate a possible bad transom as well. Tap on it and listen for hollow sounds. The way wellcraft capped the transom and left the wood uncovered underneath led to lots of rotten transoms. I redid mine last year and it was lots of work.

Keep in mind there are plenty of v20's around in decent shape. From the sound of things I'd pass on this one as you will spend thousands just trying to get it to be seaworthy. Another thing to keep in mind is the 115 is a bit small for that boat. They usually do best with a 150.

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks I was thinking it was underpowered. this boat has wooden deck hatch covers, I couldn't even pull them off due to the swollen wood, there is a wooden compartement cover across the aft compartment also swollen shut and delaminating badly. wooden covers with hillbilly latches below the gunwales, I would just rip out all that crap, but the transom is definately rotted because there are holes like swiss cheese from screw mounted crap thats now missing, I think I'm going to forget this boat, I've seen others get free boats in similar condition.