Question for a Moderator

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't find a good place to post this thread and none of you accept PMs. Feel free to send me a PM reply and delete this thread.

Every time I sign into iboats I spend 95% of my time reading threads. Each time I log in with my user name and password. Occasionally, I will opt to post on a thread. Once logged in, and even though I have been constantly "active" on the site, whenever I click on the "Post Reply" tab it takes me to a "sign in" screen. This happens to me most every time I use this site and I am forced to log in once again. It's as if your site has 10-20 minute time out. Even so, the site should know that I am still active as I am bouncing around from thread to thread and scrolling through a ton of responses. It doesn't make sense.

Quite frankly this is very annoying. What can be done (on my part or iboats) to remedy this problem. I am confident that if you, as a moderator, had this same experience you would find it to be too frustrating to deal with and you would decide it's not worth the trouble in exchange to be a Moderator.

This has been an ongoing problem since I have been an iboats registered user and it's the same response whether I use my laptop, desktop or work computer. Anyone else have this same experience. If so, speak up. If there is one thing that could improve this website and my iboats experience this would be it.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question for a Moderator

I agree it is annoying, but I belong to other "forums" and they all do the same thing....wish they would give you more time to post in case you have a lot of typing to do or you get interrputed....but you can simply log in again and the post goes on OK.

I take that back...the pop up camper forum I belong to does offer choices of hours or all the time to be "logged in". But otherwise they are all like this site...

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Once you are logged in bookmark the page.
It works for me and i never have to log in. I can go days and just open my browser and click on the Iboats book mark and right back on...

Alumarine

Captain

I've use Mozilla Firefox on this site for the past couple of years and it works well.

nlain

Commander

The company I work for has 2 locations, I have been working in both lately, I use Firefox as the browser, normal location for me I use bookmarks, this location no bookmarks. The first time I logged in from this computer I checked the remember me box by name and now I open Firefox and type 1 letter of the site I want and just click in the saved address history, been logged in since about 7:30 this AM constantly. It never times out on me. The other 2 tabs (sites) I have open stay logged in also.

LadyFish

Admiral

This sounds like it could be on your end, your settings to NOT remember passwords, etc. maybe.

Do you check the box when you DO log into our site "stay logged in" or whatever it says?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Once you are logged in bookmark the page.
It works for me and i never have to log in. I can go days and just open my browser and click on the Iboats book mark and right back on...

Me too I have Iboats forum saved as a favorite I just click on it and never have to log in been really simple for me

rwidman

Lieutenant

This sounds like it could be on your end, your settings to NOT remember passwords, etc. maybe.

I would say that's correct because I don't have to log in again.

If it's a corporate, school, or public computer, the administrator has probably set the computer or network to not remember logins and passwords. You wouldn't want the next person using the computer to be able to use your account, would you?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Me too I have Iboats forum saved as a favorite I just click on it and never have to log in been really simple for me

Yep, and don't forget to check the "remember me" box when you login...

Edit: I see we're all posting at the same time with the same info...:)

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I'm a firefighter not a computer guru. With that said, your comments make sense. I will log out now and try the "remember me" box. I don't have Mozilla, so that would be my next option.

I hope this works indefinitely. I'm afraid I'll forget my password. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help everyone!

QC

Supreme Mariner

You should also try deleting all of your history and cookies. Then log in again. That seems to make a difference for those with issues.

BTW, we all accept PMs . . . :confused:

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well 2.5 hours after I logged back in and clicked on the "remember me" tab I am writing this update.

If it goes through... IT WORKED! If not, then I'll repost noting that suggetion to be a bust. Here goes.....

By the way QC... no offense I've just read several moderator profiles/signtures that request "no PMs". Understandably, that's what the forums are for. It's all good. As I've said many times... without iboats.com I couldn't afford to own a boat. :) Thanks for all the many hours you guys put in to this site.

QC

Supreme Mariner

By the way QC... no offense I've just read several moderator profiles/signtures that request "no PMs".
None taken :) . . . Just for clarity, as others read these threads etc. There are eight Moderators on iboats. In no particular order (except Lady first) they are:

LadyFish, JB, Don S, ezmobee, Bob_VT, walleyhed, DJ and yours truly

I just checked all of their sigs and Don S has this (key points in bold):

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
That is what these forums are for.
Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

No other Mod has a PM related note in their sig. Not to speak for Don, but his is because he is an experienced I/O technician and the poor guy's PM inbox gets flooded. With that said, there are some guys with lofty-super-duper-post-padded titles :p that have the same type of message, and that's because they are also very experienced in their area of expertise and just get bombarded . . .

PMs to Moderators are a good thing, and we definitely accept them :)

D

DJ

As stated, check the "remember me" box.

PM is and always has been wide open.

rwidman

Lieutenant

You should also try deleting all of your history and cookies. Then log in again. That seems to make a difference for those with issues.

Thaat's good to do from time to time, but after you do, you will have to log in to all your web forums again (and check the "remember me" box).

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the other thing that helps.....is check "allways check for the newest version of this page" in your settings.

your computer will allways try to bring up the page from memory instead of checking the web for it......