90HP Fuel tank

speterson1011

Seaman
What size tanks are most of you running with 90 horse power engines? I have a 2001 2 stroke 4 cyl. Johnson and only have a 20 gallon tank. It just seems like not enough to me so I figured I'd see what everyone else is running. Thanks

D

DJ

Re: 90HP Fuel tank

It depends on how you operate it. I do know, as you stated, that a 90 HP 2-stroke will make short work of 20 gallons (probably 18 usable).

Most of my boats, that I owned, typcically had, 30 gal. plus+.

speterson1011

Seaman

Yah I usually carry an extra 6 gallons on board. I try to be gas efficient but sometimes I just want to get out there and go everywhere which is why I bring the extra 6 gallons. Just wish it was a bigger tank so I didn't need the extra jug but I don't have room. But then again it is a flats boat, not a cruising boat :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno
I have an F150 yamaha and a small 65 gallon tank.
depends on how far and fast ya wish to go.
but that 90 2stroke can and will burn 10 gallons an hour with no problem.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

15 gallons in my 14 foot go-fast. Two sixes in my 15 foot Glastron. That's her in the avatar.--not enough fuel, but I can't fit more. Anyway, it is used mostly on the river.

robert graham

Admiral

With my 90HP 2 stroke I have a 12 gallon and a couple of 6 gallon jerry cans. Everybody hates that queazy, "hope I have enough gas" feeling. It all depends on where you're going, how fast you're running and how far apart the gas/marinas are. At wide open my 90HP will really rip through a tank of gas, so I usually cruise in the 3500RPM range, which helps a good bit.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 90HP 2stroke Merc, I have two 12 gallon tanks. When I take the kids tubing it will go through a tank pretty quick. If I go on an extended cruise, which I rarely do, I have a 5 gallon can that I fill up and put in the boat as a reserve.

I never go out without having both tanks full, and I really try to end the day with at least 4-5 gallons left. My tanks are the "portable" type, the hull does not have hull tanks, so anything bigger would take up too much room.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 90 in my bass boat has 18 gal...at WOT it does about 42 so I can cover about 80 miles on a tank...

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

10 gallon imperial plus extra 5 gallon (same).depending on how you use her the 10 can last a day or 2 or 1 hour,lol.

speterson1011

Seaman

Yep I have burnt some gas up quick and made me wonder if I really had 20 gallons. Wish it was a 30 gallon but Oh well I can make it work and just be more gas efficient :D

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I have a Yamaha 90 HP 4-stroke with twin 12 gallon tanks. That gives me a good 100+ nautical mile range dpending upon the weather and operating speed.

speterson1011

Seaman

Hey everyone I just recently did a test with the 18' flats boat, with a 2 stroke 4 cyl 90HP Johnson. I use Quicksilver(mercury) premium plus 2 stroke oil. I filled up a full 20 gallons of my tank, carried a extra 6 gallon jug of gas with me. The water was absolutely flat when I was testing it here in Tampa Bay. I ended up doing a total of 75 miles according to Lowrance H20 GPS and I didn't run out of gas at all and didn't have to use my extra 6 gallon jug of gas either. Just thought I'd share, I was impressed with it. I was running about 23mph the whole time. I was pushing about 1900lbs. I just recently got my prop re-hubbed and re-conditioned and man did that make a difference! Thanks for the replies and information everyone