River Anchor vs Naval Anchor

zkurtb

Cadet
I'm wondering which of these two would be better for a second anchor. Our bottoms are mostly mud, somtimes sand. I have a fluke (danforth) anchor already. Somehow these other two appeared and I'm trying to choose between them for a second anchor. They are both about the same size/weight. The boat is a 19' wellcraft I/O weighing about 2700lbs.

I know this may open a can of worms, and other options (claw/CQR or Plow/Bruce) might be better choices, but since I have these, I'd like to keep the discussion as to the merits between these two types.

Kurt

Naval anchor
25323_opt_106728.jpg

River anchor
489.jpg

Blackacid

Seaman Apprentice
Re: River Anchor vs Naval Anchor

My naval anchor seems to set in mud better than the river anchor does.... but not by a great margin. I think the 6' chain makes the biggest difference. I'm seriously thinking about changing that out for a 12' chain.

for my setup.... I'd keep the river anchor over the naval anchor; if I had a danforth onboard. That's just for my needs though. I don't it hurts to have options. :)

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer

but not by a great margin. I think the 6' chain makes the biggest difference. I'm seriously thinking about changing that out for a 12' chain.

Agree, the chains the thing.

I would go with navy anchor

rwidman

Lieutenant

If you read the chapter in Chapmans about anchors and anchoring, you will find that neither of your choices is recommended.

What is your reason for wanting a second anchor and why don't you just get one like the one you already have?

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If those are my only choices, I vote naval with a 6' chain since it is a secondary anchor otherwise at least a 12' or preferably 18' chain for primary for that size of boat.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I never understood why those are called river anchors because they don't work on rivers. Any current whatsoever will pull those off the bottom in a second. The naval anchor is my choice out of those two and will hold much better in the mud if a wind comes up.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Chain chain chaaaaain...chain of..12' anchor chain. Easiest fix.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you are looking for a safety backup, buy another danforth with chain.

If your purpose is to keep the stern from swinging in the wind or current, buy a navy and you probably don't need a chain.

If you are anchoring in shallow water or near a beach, buy a SS corkscrew anchor.

A "river anchor" is about worthless, unless you have a 14' tinny in still waters with no wind.

zkurtb

Cadet

Black & Bailey - I do have 6' of chain for it/them (whichever is chosen).

Ron - Indeed, another style might be a better choice, but I have them and would rather not buy another, and anyway it will be a secondary. As mentioned in the OP I'd rather just keep this a discussion between the Naval and River. To your other question, I'd like a second anchor because: What if one gets lost or permanently snagged; Front and back anchoring when/if needed; possibly dual front anchors should conditions require, but doubt that'll ever happen, wouldn't likely be out in those conditions; and it makes great ballast for the front of the boat :)

TheMan - wow 18', never thought of using that much. Definitely would add some forward ballast ;)

Jim - since I have these, and don't ask how as I don't remember :confused: I thought I'd add one to the boat for the reasons mentioned above for a 2nd anchor. Our boating is mostly casual day trips on the local lake/river and I don't anchor much anyway, but figured a 2nd can't hurt, but don't see a need to buy another. Since I had these, figured I add one as a 2nd/backup. And again, while there may be better anchors, the goal of this post is simply the merits between these two...

If I get a chance - meaning the motivation - I will experiment with both and report back. All things being equal I'd prefer the Naval as it will fit better where I want to stow it.

For those who may be interested, here is where we boat 95% of the time...
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sandpoint,+ID&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.547176,53.701172&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sandpoint,+Bonner,+Idaho&ll=48.285021,-116.485291&spn=0.46696,0.839081&z=10&iwloc=A

Kurt

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The chain does a number of things but the two most important are protects the anchor line from abrasions and weighs down the anchor so it lays flat on the bottom and when pulled drives the anchor into the bottom, not lift it. 18' would be for the main anchor and strong winds or current otherwise 12' for the main. My secondary only has 6' of the rubber coated chain and I use it for stern swing.

sasto

Captain

My vote is for the naval anchor......and I vote for a spare. I'd drag a whole spare boat if I could.:)

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

i vote navy,

i have those 2 types on board, at the moment neither have chain, and the river anchor generally pulls loose and skips along the bottom as i am pulling it up pretty easy.... the navy style stays put untill im pulling straight up on it... and gives a noticable release when it comes loose.. on mud at least.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The navy anchor will probably hold better and easier than the river anchor.

For those who say a river anchor doesn't hold, perhaps you aren't allowing enough scope. If you allow at least 7:1 scope it will probably hold fairly well in a muddy bottom.
I boat on the Delaware river sometimes and it's 50' deep in spots. I don't carry 350' of rode so I don't anchor there, but I usually don't have any problem in 15' of water.

Mn_Z_Man

Cadet

the river anchors are really heavy relative to the holding power. I was wrecking my elbows hauling mine in, then replaced it with a waterspike, which works great and only weighs 10 lbs.