New Head Gasket question

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class
'96 88 HP johnson special
Put new head gasket on starboard side as bottom plug was getting salt deposits on it. Torqued all bolts to 18-20 pounds and ran on muffs in driveway. Had a slight drip on the very bottom, torqued bottom bolts a little more(torque wrench read 22 pounds when drip stopped.) and drip stopped. Just ran boat in the ocean for about 15 miles, stopped once to check under cowl and all looked good. When I got home I saw salt deposits all around the outside of the gasket. Not alot but it was consistent all around. Checked plugs and they were great looking, a little bit of oil on them but no salt and they had not been washed by seawater. I know the gaskets need to be retorqued after a little break in, could that be the cause of my salt on the outside? I have retorqued and cleaned all the salt off and will run again on the week end to see if i solved it. Anyone else have this issue?

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Head Gasket question

I would say you more than likely warped the head not using an even torque. The other question is, did you use a dressing on the head gasket? This kind of lubes the gasket so that it does not pull/stretch and/or tear.

With a new gasket, true matting surface, and proper torque and pattern, you should get no leaks.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did not use uneven torques initialy, torqued per the pattern in the rebuild section of manual so head is not warped. Probably just under torqued lower bolts due to the angle you have to get them from. Talk about doom and gloom, thanks:rolleyes:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Whenever you replace a head gasket you should make sure the head is flat. You are correct in that you should retorque the head bolts after the engine is run and warmed up, let it cool down and retorque head.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure they are salt deposits?

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

The salt deposits on the plug before the gasket change were salt, I tasted the plug:eek:, the other plug had no such taste.
the "salt deposits" outside the head around the gasket also has a somewhat salty taste although not to the extent of the plug.

I also put the head down on a piece of glass with some 320 grit wet dry and got it nice and clean and flat. Did the best I could to the block to clean the old gasket off. Going to run again in the morning maybe(work can wait till noon with the weather we have here in Southeast NC.) The ocean just may be flat enough to go off the beach a bit.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If the white deposits are coming from the middle of the gasket itself and are not salty, it's sealant coming out of the gasket material that was built into the gasket. You'll have to look very closely to see if it's coming from the middle or from between the gasket and head or block.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Are these deposits coming from around the head gasket or the head gasket cover? You should retorque the heads after the engine goes through a couple of heat/cool cycles. You may be able to have a perfect-sealing head gasket of the compression areas, and still have an issue with the water jacket sealing surfaces. The new head gaskets all say "no sealer required." In fact, it does not hurt to apply gasket sealer to the block and head around the edges-(in the water jacket sealing areas only)-during reassembly.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ran the boat again for a good long time Fri afternoon and checked plugs and around gasket for deposits this morning. Engine was in the tilted up position all night on the trailer before I checked it, got in when dark so i waited till this morning. All plugs looked pretty good, except lower right still showed some dryness and maybe had one little deposit on it, but much better then before head gasket change. Some deposits on lower right head around the gasket but not as bad as before i retorqued all the bolts. Lower right piston when at top dead center looked dry when looking through sparkplug hole, actually they all kinda looked a little dry. Is that normal? my mechanic once told me it doesnt take long for gas/oil mix to evaporate out of cylinder head after running due to heat of engine. I do recall when changing gasket that lower right piston was dry BUT cylinder walls still had some oil residue which I assume is good and normal. Next I'll check compression to make sure all that is good but overall I'am about done messing with it, it runs good and I'll keep an eye on it to make sure that cylinder doesnt wash out if gasket is not sealing, sorry for the long post.