low cost boat

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class
low cost boating,well that is what i told myself when i got it anyway. i traded a bike for it so no out of pocket money to get it. just ordered cables, carb kit, water pump kit, manual, plug, aluminum paddles, fuel line, dock lines, anchor lines, anchor, pfd's, throwable floatation, vynil name,ear muffs, battery, tires, and lights for trailer with wiring all for just under 750 bucks. now to do the work and get the registration and paperwork. hope it is all worth it, i really do want to get out on the water and learn how to water ski, go fishing, and just cruise. oh and i performed the vaseline trick on the paint and it has done very well on bringing out the ugly color of my boat.

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: low cost boat

Inexpensive boating is an oxymoron.

Boat=

Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This (and kayaks, canoes, small smailboats) are the only way to do boating on the cheap. Any more that this and it's gonna cost ya :D

DSCF2577.jpg

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know EZ, I paid $1500 for the duracraft in my sig. The only thing it really NEEDED were a new throttle assy. and a water separator. To make it what I really WANTED though I've dumped another ~$800 beyond that into it.

It's pretty reliable, does ~40 mph and is great for fishing. Downside is it's pretty ugly. LOL

If you can wait, don't need pretty AND are willing to learn to do some work yourself, it can be done.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know EZ, I paid $1500 for the duracraft in my sig. The only thing it really NEEDED were a new throttle assy. and a water separator. To make it what I really WANTED though I've dumped another ~$800 beyond that into it.

It's pretty reliable, does ~40 mph and is great for fishing. Downside is it's pretty ugly. LOL

If you can wait, don't need pretty AND are willing to learn to do some work yourself, it can be done.

I love dropping in the oldest boat at the dock, firing it up, and listening to that 33 year old motor hum and run better than most of the 5 year old boats that just put in.

You can boat on the cheap(well, depends on what you consider cheap), you just have to accept the fact that you pay big money for looks. If you don't care about that, you can get on the water for $1000-$2000...and thats pretty cheap as far as i'm concerned.

My 79 ranger was 100% functional when i bought it for $1600, engine passed compression and spark tests with flying colors. All i had to do was put it in the water and go. Of course, i wanted to do more, but i didn't have to.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

well ron, you've got an outboard-powered tin can.....that's the best recipe for low-cost boating. However once you start getting into the high HP outboards.....the potential for $$ repairs goes way up.

Huron Angler

Admiral

You can't beat aluminum for keeping the costs down, since less fuel is required to tow, plane out, and cruise all day than on heavier boats.

Used Starcrafts and other tin cans are in abundance all over the country pretty cheap, unless you are on the west coast.

I got mine for $1000 and splashed it the same day, 80hp runs(not perfect) and I had a great summer of boating.:)

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, this may not be boating on the cheap to some of y'all, but it all depends on what you are after.

My 1982 Chris Craft Cabin Cruiser cost me $7500 bucks and everything works except it won't pump fuel from the Starboard tank (solenoid) and I am fixing that now. It is cosmetically beautiful, fully functional, cruises when not overly laden at 27 MPH. and has been a ton of fun. It sleeps four adults, but is best when just me and my lady spend a night alone on the water.

You couldn't buy anything comperable new or recently used for less than $50k to 100K depending on what you wanted, so I think I'm boating on the cheap.

Additionally, lots of people will tell you that boating is expensive, "B O A T = Break Out Another Thousand" or "Boats are holes in the water into which you throw money" It doesn't have to be this way. A few manuals, the willingness to get dirty and do your own maintenence, and the knowledge that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure will take you a long way and stretch your boating dollar even further.

My .02 cents worth...

eavega

Lieutenant

Here ya go. Almost about as cheap as it gets

Redneck_boat.jpg

Eric

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here ya go. Almost about as cheap as it gets

Redneck_boat.jpg

Eric

Shoot, two batteries, trolling motor, a couple pole holders, and a table for my tackle box/cooler and that would be the cats meow for the river backwaters around here. Could easily get up stream with that light thing.

Wonder if i would have to register something that small....

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

The only low-cost boat I ever saw was the holed dinghy I picked up free off a curb and turned into a planter.

I have a 1960 crestliner with an engine made the same year. Bought the whole thing with trailer many years ago for 750 and it needed nothing. After putting a restore on the whole thing I love the comments I hear when I take it out but the best one was from a woman fishing from the bank with friends as I was taking it out . She said to her friend,:"Now thats the kind of little boat I want " Mister how much did that boat cost"? I smiled and said "you can but these all day long for under a thousand" She said "that's what I want"......little does she know and I didnt say how much more it would take. If you have to ask you cant afford it.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well, this may not be boating on the cheap to some of y'all, but it all depends on what you are after.

My 1982 Chris Craft Cabin Cruiser cost me $7500 bucks and everything works except it won't pump fuel from the Starboard tank (solenoid) and I am fixing that now. It is cosmetically beautiful, fully functional, cruises when not overly laden at 27 MPH. and has been a ton of fun. It sleeps four adults, but is best when just me and my lady spend a night alone on the water.

You couldn't buy anything comperable new or recently used for less than $50k to 100K depending on what you wanted, so I think I'm boating on the cheap.

Additionally, lots of people will tell you that boating is expensive, "B O A T = Break Out Another Thousand" or "Boats are holes in the water into which you throw money" It doesn't have to be this way. A few manuals, the willingness to get dirty and do your own maintenence, and the knowledge that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure will take you a long way and stretch your boating dollar even further.

My .02 cents worth...

+1
Paying a bit more up front is worth every extra penny. I gave $10K for my Nova II, but it needed very very little outside of normal maintenance items, and was/is in near mint, unmolested condition. I've spent about $500 total on maintenance and normal wear items for the two seasons I've had her, not bad considering everything is twice the price with twins. What does a new 26' offshore-type with 500+hp go for new? I don't really want to know! Even at $10k, I also feel I'm boating fairly cheaply.
Is my boat dated? Heck yeah, but I love all the teak and character. New(er), similar boats are just too blah; white hull, white interior, cheesy blue/orange/green hull graphics - yuk.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

to get out on the water for under a grand is cheap, next year when i redo the interior i will probably wont think it is cheap anymore but for now i am happy to own a 35 year old boat and get something that was not being used and bring it back to life. kinda gives me a sense of accomplishment and i really cant see paying 5 to 7k for a first boat. as long as it gets me and my wife and a couple of friends out and having a good time that is what i wanted it for. i have learned alot on the forums and wish i would have taken a little more time to pick out a boat but it is what it is. make the best of it and go forward.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

my cheap'o. 1984 Lund s14 DLX with trailer from craigslist, $400.00. 1978 35hp Evinrude from craigslist, $250.00. New Tempress seats from ebay, $100.00. Replace decking and carpet, less than $100.00.

Have used it 2 seasons now and haven't spent any more than gas and oil to run it. But of course I've added more creature comforts along the way but I discount those as they really weren't needed, just wanted! It's a great little boat and the wife feels comfortable fishing in it and I wouldnt sell it for twice what I've invested in it!

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a little update... I didn't pay 5 to 7k for my first boat. My first boat was a 24ft pontoon that needed restoration. I paid 1800 spent 3000 and traded for a fish n ski that booked out at 7500.

Drove it for two seasons and only did maintenence and a prop hub kit. Then sold it for 6500, gave 5500 and my old 200k mile plus dodge dakota for my Chris Craft mentioned above.

A little cash, some elbow greese, the right market and a good Craigslist ad can really move you up the boating ladder if you so desire.

I've Pontooned, Fished, Ski'd, Wakeboarded and now I'm Cruising and spending awesome nights on the water. I've still never come out of pocket more than the original 4800 to put that Pontoon boat back on the water. Did all my on work, learned a lot and have been enjoying boating for the last four years. That's priceless to me...

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

ingalp01- to go from a pontoon to the boat you have now is a good up trade, hopefully in a few years i can do the uptrrade thing and get a little newer. Who knows, maybe I will like my glasstron trihull and will have it on the water for many years to come. But you have a great looking boat in your profile pic. and all for the original price. I think you need to be trading stock instead of boats though....lol