Recirculation/check valves on J150 looper

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone advise which direction the flow should go on these check valves that are installed in the intake manifolds of the 1994 Johnson 150 loopers? So if you have your manifolds installed with the reeds cages in but no carbs on where you can see the speghetti gasket and the 6 checks valves 2 on top 2 in the middle and 2 to the bottom looking from that direction, which direction should these allow flow to go? One end seals and the other allows and these are those little brass yellowish parts that have a little round red or silver tab that moves back and forth inside and one end you just see a hole and the other has a piece of fiber looking plastic stopper that stops the little red or silver tab from coming back and sealing, thus allowing flow.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Recirculation/check valves on J150 looper

Find your post a bit confusing, but will try to give a simple answer.
Suction goes from nipples on cylinders into the intake.
Putting a test-syringe on the check valves, you should be able to push through but not suck.
Then suction goes from bottom crank case bearing to upper crank bearing.
As a general rule, if you find any check valve with carbon on the mesh, replace it.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I know my post was a bit long but tried to explain in detail however I know how to check the check valves its just that would like to know which direction these should allow flow (into the cylinder or are these drains for excess fuel to come back) and I am talking about the ones on the intake maifolds and yes the 3 in the crankcase for the bearings are to allow in for the crank bearings to be lubed. Thanks for the info..

Haffiman

Commander

The intention as for the cylinders is to get liquid excess fuel back to intake and mix with air to a combustible air/fuel mix. (recirculate).
As for the crank bearings, gravity is the reason. Lower bearing would drown and upper dry out if this is not correct and working.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is what I wanted to know, so the check valves in the intake manifolds allows excess fuel back in from the cylinders right (so the flow would be back from cylinders not to cylinders)? And the 3 crank bearing check valves I have all 3 set that it allows flow into the crankcase and not back out to the cylinders so is this correct? Thanks again Haffiman

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, we'll see if anyone else has anything to add or say. Picture it this way, say you have a built motor and you want to check these check valves out or you need to service carbs and whatever. You remove the carbs, but leaving the manifolds in because these are bolted on seperatly. And looking at the check valves from where you are working from (intake side) if you put a hose on the check valve, would you be able to blow through it or not, or would you be able to suck?

Last edited:

Haffiman

Commander

With check valves in place, you should be able to 'blow through', but not 'suck'.
The manual however recommends to use a syringe with isopropanol.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok well that means the installation of these in the manifolds have to be turned around then because if you can blow through how is it gonna get the unburned fuel back into the manifold if you can blow through and not suck? My old ones that were in the manifolds before my rebuild were turned to not allow in but allow it to come back from cylinder pressure and the motor ran great.

Haffiman

Commander

You have vacuum in the manifold.
That means you can 'blow' from the outside where the hose attach.
How will you 'turn them around' when one end is threaded and the other a nipple for hose?

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I knew you were thinking of those but these are not what I am talking about. I know the 3 on either side of the block that have the nipples on them with hoses to go to the cylinders and these are correct. But the ones on the manifold itself (6 on each manifold which has a screen installed behind them). If you don't have one to look at or if you are not very familiar with them then it makes no sense.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you put a syringe and hose on the nipples in the intake manifold you should be able to suck but not blow . If you can blow the valve is bad. By checking the ones on the side of of the block that should be clear to let fuel through into the cyl. If clogged it needs cleaning.The recuirt system is for mainly idle and slow speed rpm when fuel is collecting in the c/c not getting beat up by the c/s as it is at higher speeds. If you ran this mtr at wot all day you wouldn't need a recuirt system. At slow speeds the fuel usually collects just below the reed plates where the recuit valves are therefore putting it back into the side of the cyl where it can get burned. And yes, these valves can effect idle quality on mtrs as they are calibrated into the fuel system as far as idle quality.

daselbee

Commander

He is talking about the check valves that are in the intake manifold, which are completely covered up by carbs, etc. when everything is put together. Not the check valves with hoses on them that are accessible without taking the intake apart.
I don't know your engine model number (I guessed when I looked it up), but the same valves exist on on a V6 looper, but are a completely different part number, so I cannot help with your specific situation.

To let the guys know exactly which part you are talking about, please post the reference number from the parts drawings located at shop.evinrude.com.

I think you are talking about #42 on the carb and intake manifold pages, but I am not sure either.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you put a syringe and hose on the nipples in the intake manifold you should be able to suck but not blow . If you can blow the valve is bad. By checking the ones on the side of of the block that should be clear to let fuel through into the cyl. If clogged it needs cleaning.The recuirt system is for mainly idle and slow speed rpm when fuel is collecting in the c/c not getting beat up by the c/s as it is at higher speeds. If you ran this mtr at wot all day you wouldn't need a recuirt system. At slow speeds the fuel usually collects just below the reed plates where the recuit valves are therefore putting it back into the side of the cyl where it can get burned. And yes, these valves can effect idle quality on mtrs as they are calibrated into the fuel system as far as idle quality.

Thanks Boobie that is right on how I thought they should work because that is how the old ones were installed and I replaced them all but wanted to know if that was right before installing the new ones. Alot others guys think they should allow flow into the cylinder but that is not right because it wouldn't justify the term recirculation.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

He is talking about the check valves that are in the intake manifold, which are completely covered up by carbs, etc. when everything is put together. Not the check valves with hoses on them that are accessible without taking the intake apart.
I don't know your engine model number (I guessed when I looked it up), but the same valves exist on on a V6 looper, but are a completely different part number, so I cannot help with your specific situation.

To let the guys know exactly which part you are talking about, please post the reference number from the parts drawings located at shop.evinrude.com.

I think you are talking about #42 on the carb and intake manifold pages, but I am not sure either.

Yes daselbee I am talking about part #42 in the carb and intake manifold page so you know whats going on now as well. Oh and my engine is a J150 EXERV v6 60* looper OIS.

daselbee

Commander

So, as I said, yourcheck valves are quite a bit different from the ones used in V6 loopers to do the same function. You will need to get a 150 expert on it. At least I hope I helped you pinpoint the exact part to the guys.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Jwell as I said you want to get the unburned fuel that is sitting below the reed valves back up to the cylinders to get burned up. You are defineatly correct. By cyl's I mean the side of the block where those fittings are. All you have to remember is the excess fuel comes from the intake manifold up to those fittings goes into the piston area and gets burned up. Hope this helps.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys and boobie yes you explained it how it should be and that was what I wanted to know for sure. And daselbee thanks for taking the time to look up what I was talking about to make sure.