white stuff

philip24

Cadet
Ok this is my first boat. I just took the cylinder head off and the cover was packed with this white wet powder. Is that supose to be there? Thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: white stuff

If you're refering to the water jackets, where the white stuff is, that's corrosion. What kind of motor are you working on?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, if you find corrsion in the water jackets, then it's likely because it has seen some salt water use. It's common. Nothing to be alarmed about.:cool:

philip24

Cadet

So it won't hurt to clean the cover. Would that make it so I had no speed

boobie

Supreme Mariner

It shouldn't effect your speed any but may cause an overheat. Would recommend you check the other side also. Depends on how packed up it is.

philip24

Cadet

Its not the water jacket its the cylinder cover the white stuff is between the cover and the gasket

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

corrosion and salt deposits, i have seen complete cooling system clogged. it most comes from no properly flushing the motor after Salt water use, or a boat that stayed in the water for long periods of time without flushing.

in flushing you have to run the motor long enough for the tstats to open, or the power head does not get flushed.

philip24

Cadet

So the salt and corrosion would get between the gasket and cover like that I thought it was some sealer or something like that so how would I clean that

philip24

Cadet

Ok I took the other side off and it was good look real good.what does that mean? Thanks everyone for the help