Difference in Deadrise

thompsdw

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at two boats a Smokercraft deck boat with 17 degrees of deadrise and a searay with 21 degress of deadrise. I certainly understand that more deadrise means a better ride in the chop, however, I don't have a feel for how much difference 4 degrees makes. Am I making this too simple on being able to take the chop on the lake I boat on (meaning only specific to deadrise)?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Difference in Deadrise

Well, If you're running a Spreadsheet, I'd give 1 point to the Searay......<br /><br />In My experince, More is Better.....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Tx Boat Boy<br />Today almost all boats are a modified V, meaning you have a sharper entry on the bow than on the stern. The shape of the bow I think has more affect in the short chop like in a lake and rivers where you do not have big swells. As you get into the big swells in the ocean then the deadrise of the stern also comes into play. There trade off to the better ride of Deep V as they also tend to roll more. Deep V's need more power to plane and burn more fuel. Weight is another big factor in ride, fuel and speed. More weight = better ride, more fuel and less speed. The Sea Ray is a heavy solid boat. The ones I see in ocean where I fish seem to throw more spray and run deeper in the big swells. A feature I like in boats is a reverse chime. It tends to ride a little better and be more stable, not roll as much, Planes faster and burns less fuel and has a dryer ride. Trade off puts more air under the boat so fish finder may not work as well at speed and some seem to have more trouble getting on the trailer. Only way I know to be sure of the difference is to test drive both in like conditions and even then You may like one better in the short chop and one better in the big ocean swells. Sorry not much help.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

More deadrise will give a more comfortable ride, but it also requires more power to plane, takes longer to get on plane. Also makes the boat more "tender", (tippier). The 1-2 foot chop is where you notice the difference, and of course it depends on speed as well. You would probably be okay with 17 degrees. Its a whole lot better than a flat or near flat bottom. Any way you could test run both models so you can make a better decision?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bear in mind there's a lot of sales hype in quoting degrees of deadrise.<br /><br />Most quoted figures are for the angle of deadrise at the transom - but deadrise measured further forward will be different. So reading too much into a quoted deadrise figure is very misleading.<br /><br />There's so much more to building a soft-riding, good tracking, economical, dry-riding boat than just one aspect. Get all the ingredients right and you've got one terrific hull. Get one ingredient wrong and you end up with a pig.<br /><br />Ciao

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Uh oh!<br />Wrong thread!<br />Back to the drawing board.