temp sensor?

philip24

Cadet
this is my first boat and im stuck i rebuilt carbs and fuel pump new plugs and power packs and coils and i notice that there where loose wiring (tan) and i looked it up and it was the temp sensor or switch dont remember what it was called but anyways they where not hooked up would that cause a 85 90hp evinrude to has little speed runs good just no speed thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: temp sensor?

No, the temp sensor on your engine has nothing to do with the running of your engine.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You need to start with some basic engine checks, compression and spark, to eliminate the easy stuff first. Are the spark plugs in good shape? If those check out move on to the fuel system, does the primer bulb pump up firm? Will pumping the primer bulb while the engine is not working properly cure the problem? Are you getting fuel flow to the carbs? If all those things are ok, I would think it's time to overhaul the carbs.

philip24

Cadet

new plugs compression good on all cylinders with a new primer bulb that put up rock solid carbs i took to the shop to do is there a way to test the power pack if so what are the voltage suppose to be

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is the spark bright blue and steady, will it jump a 7/16" air gap? If yes, more than likely your power pack is ok. There is a test procedure in the manual to check out the electrical system of your engine.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

new plugs compression good on all cylinders with a new primer bulb that put up rock solid carbs i took to the shop to do is there a way to test the power pack if so what are the voltage suppose to be

you really need some punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob