Antifouling Wax

steam_mill

Chief Petty Officer
www.alexmilne.com sells a full season anti fouling wax.<br /><br />I have a 17' foot bowrider that sits in the water for 5 months and takes 5 hours to scrub clean.<br /><br />Anybody use antifouling wax before and does it work. <br /><br />Any other suggestions for bottom wax?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Antifouling Wax

Moving to Boat Topics

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just use a real high quality carnuba wax, and it seems to be fine. The trick is to make sure the hull is completely clean and free of oxidization before you was.

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

Last season I tried EZ-on-Bottom on one half the hull and another "harder wax" that had a V571?? (or some name ingediant) on the other side - it was much more difficult to apply.<br /><br />In July we pulled the boat (32'Chris) that had never been painted and compared buildup and cleanup ease (w/pressure washer). The boat was then dried, rewaxed with EZ-on-Bottom, and put back in for the rest of the season. (The "hard wax" had to be buffed and was much more work) <br /><br />Both waxes had considerable fouling but cleaned up OK with the powerwasher. Took the marina a couple of hours and about $130 to pull and wash the bottom in July. <br /><br />Next season, I plan on painting the bottom - even though it would be cheaper to continue with the waxing. I believe the amount of fouling with wax has a major effect on both speed and fuel economy. <br /><br />I have some left over wax if you want it. It goes for about $28 per bottle at West Marine.

mattttt25

Commander

don't go there. waxing just doesn't hold up. use a good ablative paint (like interlux) and rest easy.