Steering wheel

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1975 Evinrude 70 hp, and I am having a problem with the steering. It seems that the sterring wheel has became harder to turn. I mean I have to use 2 hand to turn the boat and i have to really pump the wheel. I checked all that I can and everything seem normal from the back end. Does anyone have any ideas. P.S. everything is gressed up pretty good.

thank, mav

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Steering wheel

Unhook cable from motor, then turn motor by hand, it will probably turn freely. Next try turning your wheel, if it's still hard to turn your problem is the cable.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

99% cable replacement, the cost of the cable, for a few $$ more replace the complete system with new.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Those cables freeze up quickly. I put a boat away in the fall and all was well and when I pulled it out in spring it was frozen solid. Put a new cable in and all was well.

dwco5051

Commander

I have a 1975 Evinrude 70 hp, and I am having a problem with the steering. It seems that the sterring wheel has became harder to turn. I mean I have to use 2 hand to turn the boat and i have to really pump the wheel. I checked all that I can and everything seem normal from the back end. Does anyone have any ideas. P.S. everything is gressed up pretty good.

thank, mav

It now takes me two hands to lift what I used to lift with one in 1975 :)

Seriously, I would bet on 100 to 1 odds that you are going to need a new cable.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

I guess my next question would be, how do you choose a streering cable. Is it by brand of boat, or motor, or what.

mav

dwco5051

Commander

I guess my next question would be, how do you choose a streering cable. Is it by brand of boat, or motor, or what.

mav

Good question. With any luck at all you may still be able to find a printed number and brand name on your cable covering. Then try to cross reference it to a current number. The length has to be the same as your old cable and the helm end has to match up with your current setup. Most of the time you will be able to replace just the cable for about $100 to $130. If it can't be matched as is the case with some of the Mercury Ride-Glide setups from the 1970's you may have to replace the helm too. This doesn't cost a whole lot more and you will have the piece of mind that comes with a completely new steering system that will last another 35 years.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies, as for my streering cable there use to be a 115 Mercury engine on the boat when I first bought it. Since then I replaced the motor with an Evinrude 70hp. I went out and looked at the cable, and I didn't see anything written on the outside of the cable to let me know anything about the cable. All I know is the cable is about 10ft. Is there anyother way to determine the kind of cable I have.

Thanks,

Mav