Where to mount battery switch

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
I just got a Perko 8603 Battery Switch, and went down to the boat to figure out a location for it. I was shocked to find that I really don't have anywhere to put it along the stern. :eek:

How far away from the batteries and engine could I safely run wires and install the switch? I'm thinking of putting it down low at the helm (about 12-15' run along the gunwale), or possibly in the cabin (probably as much as 20' run). Would this be too far for running the wiring? What size wire would be the best? ...and.... would you install it in either of those locations, or mount it to the inside of the transom?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where to mount battery switch

As close to the batteries as possible. Don't put it close to the helm. The further away you put it, the more voltage drop you get and the larger cables you will need.

fishrdan

Admiral

^^^ Bingo, mount it as close to the battery as conveniently possible. I have mine mounted high on the transom within easy reach, from inside the boat and on the trailer from the ground.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^^ Bingo, mount it as close to the battery as conveniently possible. I have mine mounted high on the transom within easy reach, from inside the boat and on the trailer from the ground.

I am in the process of also installing a Perko and was wondering if it would be stupid to mount it to the marine battery case (absolutely very little available places to mount at the stern and read to keep nearest the battery and away from helm... drill the small holes through the plastic and secure with small bolts/washers/nuts. There would be some room to spare in the carrier after the battery is placed in and whereby I would cable tie any excess wiring and stuff it in neatly w/o kinks. Good or bad idea? 31Tfgeo5cXL._SL500_AA300_.jpgPerko  31102 Dual Battery Switch.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

I am in the process of also installing a Perko and was wondering if it would be stupid to mount it to the marine battery case (absolutely very little available places to mount at the stern and read to keep nearest the battery and away from helm... drill the small holes through the plastic and secure with small bolts/washers/nuts. There would be some room to spare in the carrier after the battery is placed in and whereby I would cable tie any excess wiring and stuff it in neatly w/o kinks. Good or bad idea? View attachment 154417View attachment 154418

Ayuh,... Start yer Own thread, 'n Quit postin' in the archives....

Thank you....

September 22nd, 2010, 12:24 AM

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Start yer Own thread, 'n Quit postin' in the archives....

Thank you....

Ok.. There must be a manual for posting questions in this forum somewhere:facepalm: When I post a new question by creating a new thread, some one tells me to do an advanced search on the topic, and yet when I post on a prior thread regarding the same issue... I'm told to create a new thread. Seems if I were to create a new thread, someone would reply with "There are already a gazillion responses to installing a battery switch; do a search." Thanks! Trial by error and learning as I go.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok.. There must be a manual for posting questions in this forum somewhere:facepalm: When I post a new question by creating a new thread, some one tells me to do an advanced search on the topic, and yet when I post on a prior thread regarding the same issue... I'm told to create a new thread. Seems if I were to create a new thread, someone would reply with "There are already a gazillion responses to installing a battery switch; do a search." Thanks! Trial by error and learning as I go.

Ayuh,.... Try this,...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I post a new question by creating a new thread, some one tells me to do an advanced search on the topic, and yet when I post on a prior thread regarding the same issue... I'm told to create a new thread.

What "someone" is saying is READ the archives to see if your question has been answered, not reply to it.
If you can't find an answer in the archives start a new thread and ask your question.

gwizzar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What "someone" is saying is READ the archives to see if your question has been answered, not reply to it.
If you can't find an answer in the archives start a new thread and ask your question.

Understood; Thanks, Don! Have a good day!