adjusting shift interrupter

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class
after replacing the shift cable bellow on alpha gen 2 the motor cuts out when shifting into forward. there are two cables, upper n lower. they shift fine, no jamming. do i adjust the barrels, trail and error until interrupter works correctly or is there a magic formula?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: adjusting shift interrupter

interupter ONLY WORKS in the water ,with a load on the prop, COMING OUT OF GEAR ONLY
operation any other time is a bad lower shift cable

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great manual but i have few questions.
1. it appears the only adjustment is to the upper cable (remote control cable ) correct?
2. p 90 #4 "push in on drive unit shfit cable and ..." is this the cable going to the outdrive and inside a bellow?

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

interupter ONLY WORKS in the water ,with a load on the prop, COMING OUT OF GEAR ONLY
operation any other time is a bad lower shift cable

so you're suggesting when the mech changed the shift cable bellow, the lower shift cable was damaged?

fishrdan

Admiral

You had it repaired at a shop? Take it back and have them fix the problem.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the lower shift cable may need replacement.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the advice. i talked w/owner of shop and he said to bring it in. hope they get it right this time. they should have tested it. i had a prof mech do it so if something goes wrong their responsible. we'll see how responsible they are.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

there are a couple of adjustments.
The correct hole at the control box
where the control box cable attaches at the shift plate
the movable stud that sets total travel
the lower shift cable(to the drive)
On land and with no load the switch does not operate.If it moves,there is something with the lower shift cable or corrosion someplace

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

funny that even if you hire a pro you still need to know how it works or doesn't, and how it should be tested or ur in for a ride. ive found if the mech perceives that i know my boat, the mechanics, the testing etc. they show a lot more respect, especially when i call back and say " why didn't u test this under load?" dau!!!!!