Which boat to choose?

ithrowgirls

Cadet
Alright guys, <br /><br />Bear with me. I'm not a millionaire by any means, which is why I have the boats I have! <br /><br />For a long story short, I have a 71 glasspar, and it has the OMC outdrive. The forward gear went out and I found a 69 evinrude with the same motor and drive for 500 bucks and it was cheaper than any outdrive or lower unit I could find, so I bought the whole boat. I used the lower unit off the Evinrude for the Glasspar and it worked great all summer. Just for fun, I thought I'd get the Evinrude running this summer and I did, and it worked well. The only issue is that it rides very rough (it's a tri-hull) and it's heavier than the Glasspar, in turn makes it a little slower.<br /><br />The Glasspar has a bit of rot in the floor and the transom is also soft. The Evinrude has a solid floor and transom. Should I keep the Evinrude or keep the Glasspar and repair it? Either way, one will be scrapped. <br /><br />Thank you for your info!<br /><br />Josh

bob58

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Which boat to choose?

It really boils down to which one do you like more?<br />Which one best fits your boating needs?<br />You are the one that needs to be satisfied with the choice over the long haul! ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats

Capt. T

Seaman

I've had a tri-hull of the same vintage and a '91 deep V and both have their advantages. Based on your description of the two boats, I would definately keep the E-rude.<br /><br />Transom & floor rot == lots of work imho. I would think that for a lot less money you could fine tune the engine on the tri-hull, maybe play with the prop and perhaps add a set of SmartTabs and you'll end up with the top end you want and a better ride.