Starter doesnt engage

scientificman

Recruit
I just replaced a starter for a 1998 150 Johnson Ocean runner after it sounded like it didnt want to engage. It was making a whining sound as if the batteries were low but werent. What should I replace next, the solenoid, will this help? I believe the power cables are ok because the trim works fine with full power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Starter doesnt engage

Double check all connections dont forget the negative (ground).

Jump the two main terminals on the solenoid. If it spins properly then yes probably a defective solenod, if not keep looking for a poor connection.

see this FAQ http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158071

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter doesnt engage

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

Be sure the cables area connected to the correct battery post. crossing cables, usually blows the rectifier, and can blow more.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad