Trim gauge not working

etfortin8

Recruit
Hi,

I have purchase a used 2004 stingray 185lx with the mercruiser 3.0l and alpha1 and the trim gauge is not working. I have open the trim sender unit and if I turn it manualy it does work as soon as i put back the cover it's not working. Everything inside look perfect grease is fine and the contact seem to be good. Anybody knows what could be the problem?

Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Trim gauge not working

is the bell housing hinge pin tight??

the sender is attached to the bell housing by two screws, when the bell housing rotates, the sender unit moves with the bell housing and the hinge pin is stationary

if the hinge pin is rotating with the bell housing, the sender will not respond

bow wow rider

Seaman

if dismantling and manually adjusting the trim sender affects the gauge readout, you are in good shape.

give the sender a good greasing and make sure everything is properly attached. there's no reason it shouldn't work if those two things are done.

i had a similar problem but removed the sender and found that manually adjusting did not affect the gauge readout. in my case, the sender is dead.

etfortin8

Recruit

I was not able to fix it I will bring ot to the mecanic. The gauge is not stoppong in the middle it goes from up to full down.

Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral

the guage should be set to read full down when the drive is full down

as far as where the guage reads when the drive is up is arbitrary, mercruiser does not make the sender to read the exact "up" location, only to allow the operator to see when the drive is in the full "down" position

the reasoning is the resistance values in trim GUAGES are not all the same, they may be close but mercruiser isn't going to make different resistance value senders for every type of guage out there

if your guage is showing you full down when the drive is full down, there is nothing more you or a mechanic can do - that is correct