Sea Star 1468 Falcon

jperry1444

Seaman
I need help finding information on a boat i just bought. it is a Sea Star 1468 Falcon (according to the plate on the helm). i was told that the last 2 digits of the model number generally indicate the model year and the first 2 digits generally indicate the length of the boat. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, iboats only references the Falcon back to 1972. why is that? is my boat not really a '68?

this is my first resto project on a boat. i jumped in with both feet but i did it in shallow water. i paid $150 for the boat, a trailer that needs tires, and a 1956 Evinrude Big Twin Electric Start 30 HP. the motor appears to need very little in the way of mechanical work and slightly more in the way of clean-up and paint work. it needs an H.T. lead to armature plate anchor (which i located at a salvage yard for $15). i will also do some carb work and magneto work. i also got the original gas can. i dusted it off and the float gauge still works. i think i will replace all the gas and air line as well.

regarding the boat, a wash, wax and spot fiberglass repair should do with the exception of the entire deck that need replaced. i think another $500 into it and she'll be fishin' next spring.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sea Star 1468 Falcon

Welcome to iBoats!
Boats of this vintage that are in need of a Deck replacement typically need more repairs below the deck as well. You should for sure check the condition of your stringers and the transom. You can do this by drilling exploratory holes with a 3/8 inch drill bit and drilling in various places in the stringers and the transom. Only drill about 3/4 of an inch deep. If you get light brown dry shavings then you're ok. If you get dry powder or wet mush then you have a problem. You will need to replace whatever has the problem.

Posting pics of your boat would greatly help us to help you
My signature has a thread on how to do it. NOTE*** OMIT Step 14. DO NOT remove the attachments. Everything else is ok.

Good Luck with your project

I'm just sayin...:D

jperry1444

Seaman

Well, you were right. checking over the hull today i found that one of the drains (or whatever it is called) was plastic and had failed leading to a leak into the transom. i stuck a screwdriver down in there and pulled out wood pulp the consistency of mashed potatoes. My project just tripled in scope. See attached pics. how do i remove the top of the hull to reveal the transom wood?
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68752&stc=1&d=1285359234

Attachments

• Transom leaker.jpg
    Transom leaker.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 0

jperry1444

Seaman

i can't seem to get any more pics to upload. what is the trick here?