power loading your boat

bow wow rider

Seaman
It is generally quicker and easier than winching the boat all the way up the trailer. I saw this page and video showing why it's apparently a bad idea:
http://www.boat-ed.com/mn/course/p2-4_trailering.htm

I always get the boat off and on the trailer with a little bit of throttle, but not much. Am I really supposed to be idling up to the trailer, then winching the rest of the distance? I never really see anyone do it that way.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: power loading your boat

Yes. Powerloading is bad for the ramps and is generally frowned upon. I believe there are some tidal saltwater situations where it couldn't possibly affect the ramp more than mother nature already does where it acceptable to powerload.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Powerloading is generally frowned upon, but that's not what you're doing. A little bit of throttle to break loose or seat your boat is fine.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it is an often debated topic here.
In some circumstances it is OK and it others it isn't. At some ramps it's permitted by rule or custom and some places it isn't. In some places, gentle drive on/off is OK and others, even that is not permitted.

Hope that answers your question; it's the best you are going to get.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

All the ramps I've been to in Michigan have signs against it so I haven't ever done it. At least with my boat and trailer I don't see any reason to though. I can usually get the boat heading straight onto it and cut the ignition and it'll coast almost up to the bump stop.

If I tie to the dock I just pull it up with a dock line

haulnazz15

Captain

If you have the trailer backed in at the proper depth, power loading is no longer necessary. Trailer too deep makes it difficult to guide the boat on, trailer not deep enough is when you see people power-loading. The steepness of the ramp in use can also play a big factor in setting proper trailer depth.

Long story short, if you have to powerload, you aren't getting the trailer deep enough in the water. Backing up another two feet will eliminate the problem most of the time.

ziggy

Admiral

if your idling on the trailer, i can live with that.
if your power loading, i'm all against it.. mostly for the reason that i've had the misfortune of falling off the end of the ramp just like in your boater ed clip. except i went one further. i got the shackles of my trailer to fall of the end of the ramp too. to ge myself free. me and my son had to stand in neck deep water and lift while the 'ol lady started up the ramp. i can't imagin how close i was to loosing some fingers over that little mishap...
falling off the end of the ramp is a bummer...
i never power load. granted, i got a roller trailer and that helps in reeling it in.

i do frown on folks that power load. it's just not the right thing to do for my equipment or others equipment. think of others..

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Long story short, if you have to powerload, you aren't getting the trailer deep enough in the water. Backing up another two feet will eliminate the problem most of the time.

I would have to disagree that its simply a matter of backing in further. If you read the threads in the trailer forum on people having trouble loading their boat, a lot of them are because the person is backing in too deep. I've owned two boats this year, and both of them have loading problems if you back the trailer in too deep because the back of the boat is floating while the front of the boat is on the bunks and its near impossible to get it to settle in the right place on the trailer. That doesn't mean the only answer is power loading, but its not simply a matter of backing in deeper.

The boat I had earlier this year, there was no benefit of doing anything other than hitting the bunks and stopping. The one I have now benefits from a little moderate juice to get it 3/4 of the way up to the stop... leaving a foot or so to go. So I have been doing that. I'm sure some people may call it power loading, but there are degrees of everything. I've seen guys with bass boats sitting there practically WOT trying to get the boat the last foot up to the bow stop. To me, that is really bad.

Ned L

Commander

I've had to drive away form ramps & cancel the day because people have ruined them from power loading. My trailer has nothing but bunks & I need to basically float the boat on, so I need to back the trailer way in, and on those washed out ramps I would never be able to pull the trailer back up out of the water. - I think here in CT there is a state law against it with a $100 fine. - From what I see it is the guys with the big 'bass boats' that do it the most.

a70eliminator

Captain

I think it's just a "man" thing, like using the winch makes you a sissy or something, you have to get up there and hook the strap anyhow, I usually come up just a little above idlle if it's windy, it does feel good when the bow just kisses the stop but if it don't I just pull the strap out a foot or so and crank it up no big deal, but I've watched some guys just flog it to get up the last little bit.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

it is an often debated topic here.
In some circumstances it is OK and it others it isn't. At some ramps it's permitted by rule or custom and some places it isn't. In some places, gentle drive on/off is OK and others, even that is not permitted.

Hope that answers your question; it's the best you are going to get.

i think you are right on the money.;)

fishrdan

Admiral

I think here in CT there is a state law against it with a $100 fine. - From what I see it is the guys with the big 'bass boats' that do it the most.

I'm guessing those guys with the big "bass boats" regard a $100 fine as chump change,,, if they get caught :rolleyes:

I either coast on or pull it on with the dock lines.

I saw someone almost powerload the boat into their truck bed once. They were giving it *ell when all of a sudden the boat/trailer broke grip, boat goes shooting forward and the boat rides up the bow stop,,, 3' past the bow eye. I'm just speculating here, but I'd venture to say that ended the guy's powerloading career

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That applies to low angle ramps. One place I go is very steep. If I put it in deep enough to float it within 3 feet of the bow stop the side bunks are completely under water, and winching it up 6 feet at a 45 degree angle is no fun. Everyone there powerloads.

ziggy

Admiral

at a 45 degree angle is no fun. Everyone there powerloads.
and that's just the kinda ramp i fell off of. on the missouri river. very steep. power loading can still can ruin someone elses day. i still think it's a good idea to think of others... ;)

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never needed to. I just come into the trailer in forward (idle) and pull to neutral when the front bow rail passes my trailer lights. It seems the perfect timing to allow momentum to get it real close to the winch without hitting.

This process works on my buddy's boat and tralier also.

skargo

Banned

Definitely a situational thing. How steep and long is the ramp? Roller, bunk, tilt trailer?
Is it prohibited at said ramp?

I use maybe 4 different ramps, and at all of them I walk my 5000# boat on, and off of my bunk trailer, and am quicker than the hot dogs who blast onto their trailer. I do not mind winching the 18" or so.
I had to jump into the water to retrieve my boat once, and while all around the end of the dock it is 4' deep, at the middle it was well over my head, because of the power loading.

haulnazz15

Captain

I would have to disagree that its simply a matter of backing in further. If you read the threads in the trailer forum on people having trouble loading their boat, a lot of them are because the person is backing in too deep. I've owned two boats this year, and both of them have loading problems if you back the trailer in too deep because the back of the boat is floating while the front of the boat is on the bunks and its near impossible to get it to settle in the right place on the trailer. That doesn't mean the only answer is power loading, but its not simply a matter of backing in deeper.

If the trailer is too deep, then power loading wouldn't make sense in the first place since you would be able to drive up to the bow stop with little or no resistance. The problem with being too deep (as I mentioned) is that it makes it difficult to keep the boats on the bunks/guides. My solution regarding backing the trailer up a few feet was in relation to having to powerload.

I back my trailer in so that my boat comes to a stop within 1-2' of the bow stop when the drive is shifted to neutral at idle speed when I reach the rear of the trailer. Winching it on from there is a breeze. If I am able to pull all the way up to the bow stop at idle, chances are my trailer was too deep and the rear of the boat is still going to be floating a bit.

bow wow rider

Seaman

thanks everyone for all of the responses. through my own experience and your responses, i will take the definition of power loading as this:

excessively opening the throttle in order to force the boat so far up on the trailer that no winch cranking is necessary.

true?

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks everyone for all of the responses. through my own experience and your responses, i will take the definition of power loading as this:

excessively opening the throttle in order to force the boat so far up on the trailer that no winch cranking is necessary.

true?

well that depends on what you call excessive. I figure it's anything more than idle to push the boat up the trailer.

bow wow rider

Seaman

well that depends on what you call excessive. I figure it's anything more than idle to push the boat up the trailer.

yeah, "excessive" is open for debate. but in a practical sense it would be any amount of throttle/prop movement that affect the lake bed.