john/rude prop on mercruiser alpha1?

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
buddy picked up a 21p SS johnson/evinrude prop for 3 bucks at a garage sale, 15 spline 13 3/4. it fits well on my mercruiser alpha1 but seems like a clearence issue, ive heard talk of adding a washer, anyone have any input on the subject?

i currently run an aluminum 23p and i get great top speed, been looking for a hole shot prop, could this be a cheap tickett?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: john/rude prop on mercruiser alpha1?

it fits well on my mercruiser alpha1 but seems like a clearence issue, ive heard talk of adding a washer,

Ayuh,.... You'll need the Right thrust washer, but it'll work...

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AWESOME BOND-O!! can you point me in the right direction for forementioned washer?

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-O you are the man and do your magic.

Also, the prop is painted black, not sure if from the factory or what but I have a SS on mine and its the natural SS color. Do they bite better being natural?

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i wouldnt think it would make much of a difference, when i pick up my aluminum prop from the shop i will ask the prop man. If i can find this thrust washer i might have the SS prop worked on and cleaned up.

NHGuy

Captain

Red is the fastest color followed by black...
Of course color doesn't matter except to your eye!

Stainless does not need paint, it doesn't corrode and gives a nice smooth surface. In my lake aluminum really doesn't either. Most of the boats at our docks run aluminum. Except for the ten percent that have stainless white motors have white aluminum props, black motors and stern drives have black aluminum props. Haven't really paid attention to any silver Volvo Penta's. All are a bit paint and a bit exposed metal, no raised corrosion though. It must get knocked off by the water moving past the prop.

fishrdan

Admiral

It was probably painted black to hide that it's a SS prop, make thieves think it's a cheap aluminum prop...

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTT

So does anyone know of the thrustwasher needed for this application

Haffiman

Commander

I used to machine off the front end of the prop (part that normally goes as 'seal' into the housing on OMC), and worked without problem.
You may however have some exhaust leaks at lower end.

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have through the transom exhaust.

machining the prop was something i was thinking about seeing as how that is all that rubs and barely at that.

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a good idea to grind that down some. we can just take a little of at a time. That seems like the place it was rubbing.

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

right on, and having thru the transom exhaust i need not worry about an exhaust leak right? what about water intrusion?

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

The water intrusion will only happen if you get water up to the exhuast outlet in the thru transom exhuast. It's when water gets into the runners of the exhuast manifold and leaks into the cylinders when usually because the over lap of the valve duration, intake valve sucking air in while exhuast valve is still open.

So don't have to worry about that since your outlets are mounted decently high and you have the stock marine cam.

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

messing around in the garage today, took a closer look at the prop. the hub bushing has a crack/split in an orbiting line to the hub, is this a sign of hub failure or nothing...
IMGA0012-1.jpg

a closer look at said crack
IMGA0013-1.jpg

i would either need to machine quite a bit of prop or get a huge thrust washer....my aluminum prop should be out of the shop this week.....i will compare dimensions...

with oem mercruiser thurst washer , rude ss prop, oem mercuriser castle nut, lock ring and nut, i can only catch a few threads...

IMGA0015-1.jpg

IMGA0015-1.jpg

18WCmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To conclude this post for those who may encounter it.

the prop needs to be machined to expose enough threads on the outdrive shaft to work. Adding a washer will only make the problem worse. Thats how it is....