Ugh...Which prop to get now? Help...

CRFan1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys,

Ok, so I have a 2010 ALumacrraft 165CS (16.5') with a 60 hp Merc 4 stroke and all told, the boat weighs in the neighborhood of 1350 pounds with all gear plus I usually carry 3 adults.

The stock prop was a merc 10.38 x 13 aluminum and although it would pull 5800 rpm at WOT (GPS) with 3 guys, it has a lot of slip and was kinda doggy in general. So I decide to try a Solas Amita 4 blade 10.5 x 13 and although I love the prop - it is SMOOTH - it is still doggy out of the hole and I can only get 5300 at WOT (at 30mph). I need to be closer to 5800 at WOT and I would assume that might help my hole shot. My boat is heavy as I have it set up and with one or two guys its great...3...it's just ok. I really want to get on plane better and I am not so concerned about top end. The boat is less than a year old and runs perfect.

What prop would you recommend at this point with all else being equal? Should I go 12" pitch 4 blade (Solas) or maybe a SS 3 blade 12"?? I would welcome a suggestion cause I am frustrated at this point!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ugh...Which prop to get now? Help...

A couple of things to check.Be sure the throttle opens all the way.Don't assume because its new that its right.
The antivent plate just above the prop should be visable on plane.
It sure seems that except for hole shot your pretty close.What was the speed at 5,800 3 aboard with the original prop? Do you trim in(down) for hole shot.Is the weight distributed as evenly as possible?
Usually suggested to drop an inch when going to a 4 blade.It appears you need to drop 2 inches.if you want to approach 5,800 with 3 aboard.You will need to watch rpm with less load.Again check motor height the 4 blade usually allows more height.If you have no venting issues you likely need to raise the motor.

CRFan1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Ugh...Which prop to get now? Help...

Well...I am going to have the motor raised one hole for sure as it is low (the dealer is going to raise it)....I cannot see the vent plate at cruise. Raising it may get the 4 blade above or at 5500 but I may still need a 12" pitch prop. At 5800 with 3 aboard on the stock prop I get about 29-29.5 mph but the hole shot is still pretty bad. With the 4 blade at 5300 I was getting 30, hehe. Your right though...top end is fine, hole shot is so so. With 2 or less on board no probs. It just may be I should have gotten a 75 or a 2 stroke :(

Weight is pretty even, no venting issues at all.