1956 15 HP Johnson FD-10S - Motor Locked and Fuel Tank Issues

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started talking about this motor in another thread, but decided I should put this in its own thread. To recap, I bought this motor with another motor that has been identified as junk by some of the more experience boaters here (1960-something Elgin (McCullogh)(I'm sure I mis-spelled that)). The Johnson is in pretty fair cosmetic condition minus paint that is quite faded on the cowling. It was sitting for the past 10 years or so in a barn, so it's to be expected with all the dust and such. Also why the motor was locked up. As I said in the other thread, I filled the cylinders up with PB Blaster through the spark plug holes and let them soak. This morning, I pulled the head and used a wooden block and hammer to lightly tap on the pistons and vibrate them free. It worked and I cleaned up the carbon buildup and checked the cylinders for any scoring or goudges. They are very smooth and clean and the motor spins freely now and head gasket looks great, so I will not be replacing it. So...we have good news so far: I have a motor that I gave $80 for (I'm counting the Elgin as total loss for now, but will hopefully get it running and sell it) that is no longer locked up and I will test compression after I re-install the head.

Now for the questions: Anything you all recommend doing before I re-install the head? Does someone know wher I can get the connection for the fuel/pressure lines? The tank that I thought might be the right one for this motor is obviously not (as it does not have a seperate line connection for pressure. I pulled the pick up tube and the screen is cracked very and will need replaced, but the tank is fairly clean and a little Sea Foam should do the trick. Has anyone ever converted a tank to a pressure tank? I am thinking about having a welder friend of mine weld a fitting onto the tank for adding the pressure line if it holds pressure after I test it. Any thoughts. How much pressure does it need to be able to hold?

Any help with this fuel issue would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1956 15 HP Johnson FD-10 - Motor Locked and Fuel Tank Issues

Glad you got the motor freed up! As for the fuel tank, I would suggest that you try to find a dual line tank, (maybe Ebay or a outboard salvage yard at the top of this page). It will be a little pricey but, at least you'll have original equipment. The tank doesn't require a lot of pressure to function. there will be a small "thumb pump" on the top of the tank. Four or five pumps and she is good to go.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad you got the motor freed up! As for the fuel tank, I would suggest that you try to find a dual line tank, (maybe Ebay or a outboard salvage yard at the top of this page). It will be a little pricey but, at least you'll have original equipment. The tank doesn't require a lot of pressure to function. there will be a small "thumb pump" on the top of the tank. Four or five pumps and she is good to go.

I'm assuming that is like a primer bulb?? The pressure to move the fuel does come from motor through the second line to the tank, correct?

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1956 15 HP Johnson FD-10S - Motor Locked and Fuel Tank Issues

Assuming I get this thing running, does anyone have a good contact for paint and decals for this old girl. I think I'd like to go ahead and completely restore her as she is in such good shape.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, does anyone know what the head bolts should be torqued to? Will also need the spec for the flywheel as well since I will be taking a look at the ignition parts. Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'd be very leery of any motor that had set up and needed to be pounded loose. Water/rust marks on the crankshaft can lead to chatter marks, loose bearings and eventual failure. I prefer to at least do a partial teardown of any motor that has seized for any reason, if for no other reason than to assure myself that it was just a ring dryseized to the cylinder wall and not a rod bearing rusted to the crankshaft...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The pressure tanks run at 4-5 psi. They have a pressure relief to keep them from blowing up out in the sun. Trying to make your own is like playing with dynamite.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd be very leery of any motor that had set up and needed to be pounded loose. Water/rust marks on the crankshaft can lead to chatter marks, loose bearings and eventual failure. I prefer to at least do a partial teardown of any motor that has seized for any reason, if for no other reason than to assure myself that it was just a ring dryseized to the cylinder wall and not a rod bearing rusted to the crankshaft...

After soaking with PB Blaster and pulling the head, I just had to lightly tap the block of wood on the cylinders. Once it came free (after just a minute or so of lightly tapping and trying to rotate the flywheel by hand) it turned very smoothly without any catches. Would you still be all that concerned?

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The pressure tanks run at 4-5 psi. They have a pressure relief to keep them from blowing up out in the sun. Trying to make your own is like playing with dynamite.

I think I'd best heed your warning and go with factory design then. Thanks.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, does anyone know what the head bolts should be torqued to? Will also need the spec for the flywheel as well since I will be taking a look at the ignition parts. Thanks.

Still looking for an answer on this one if anyone can help. Also wondering about factory paint if anyone knows where to get it. Thanks.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any help here? Also, does anyone have a good resource for factory Johnson paint for restoration purposes? Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Paint can be gotten through Peter McDowell's site (NYMarine.ca). It's bang-on for color.

I don't have a manual handy for the torque specs...

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Paint can be gotten through Peter McDowell's site (NYMarine.ca). It's bang-on for color.

I don't have a manual handy for the torque specs...

Thanks. So I am going to follow your advice on checking out the motor further. It appears it will be at least a few weeks before I get the pressure tank I am ordering through the salvage place in Texas that I was referred to by (??????I'll think of it later). So I have some time and I just as well do it right if I am considering completely restoring this motor. On the bright side, it seems the coils were replaced at some point before they put it in the barn and are in excellent (basically brand new) condition. I cleaned up the points and set them to .020 and new J4C (no J4J available) spark plugs gapped to 0.030 and have good spark. Carbeurator was pretty dirty, but cleaned up well. Will probably go ahead and put a carb kit in it for good measure.

So I guess I will be tearing the whole motor down, so if anyone has a manual on this particular motor, I would really appreciate it. Also had to order a new shaft for the tiller throttle control (the long shaft that goes into the handle) as the one on the motor was broken. They had the motor set up with a steering wheel, so the throttle gears are in awesome condition though. Anyone have any thoughts or tips they'd like to share....I'm listening. Thanks.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went through the motor and cleaned it up pretty nice. There was a fair amount of varnish build-up on the leaf-plate assembly and a lot of carbon build-up on the exhaust side, but everything looks good now. So I am now ready to try to fire this baby up!! But I have a fairly important question (actually two) before I do: WHAT FUEL MIXTURE FOR THIS MOTOR??

Also, the pressure tank that I have for this motor has a bit of rust in it, so I am going to open it up and clean out really well. Assuming that the tank just has minor rust damage, what can I coat the inside of it with to prevent further damage??

Thanks.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went through the motor and cleaned it up pretty nice. There was a fair amount of varnish build-up on the leaf-plate assembly and a lot of carbon build-up on the exhaust side, but everything looks good now. So I am now ready to try to fire this baby up!! But I have a fairly important question (actually two) before I do: WHAT FUEL MIXTURE FOR THIS MOTOR??

Also, the pressure tank that I have for this motor has a bit of rust in it, so I am going to open it up and clean out really well. Assuming that the tank just has minor rust damage, what can I coat the inside of it with to prevent further damage??

Thanks.

Anyone??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are several brands of tank cleaning/coating kits. Kreme is one, from JC Whitney. They come with the stuff to clean all the junk out of it before coating it. Try a local motorcycle shop though.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

You say that you have reused the head gasket.
Usually not a good idea.
I'd check compression before going any further.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I run 25:1 in my pre 1960 motors that have at least some roller bearings in them, such as your 15. As for keeping the tank clean once you've cleaned out the rust, they're usually just fine if you keep the water out. Either store them with a little stabilized fuel/oil mix, or store them BONE DRY in a dry place.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I'll let y'all know how it goes after I try to start it.

learningasIgo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cleaned up the tank, hooked the lines up, primed it and it fired on the first pull. Started and ran on the second. Tuned it in the barrel as close as I could get it (don't like emptying the barrel while tuning high speed and then over-heating engine) and I will take it to the lake tomorrow for a test run and final tuning. Thanks again to all for your help. Another vintage Johnson goes from locked up to running like a champ thanks to the members of iboats. You guys are awesome!!