Lake Mead, Boulder marina..

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I heard this morning that Boulder marina was closed due to low water level...Anyone in Vegas area here this???

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Lake Mead, Boulder marina..

as far as i know there is no boulder marina on lake mead.

there are 3 marinas in the boulder basin
lake mead marina
las vegas bay marina
callville bay marina

there are 2 more--temple bar marina, and echo bay marina.

echo and temple have had a little more trouble as the lake drops but i haven't heard or read any thing about them closing

echo was closing- cutting back -at the lodge and cafe but i think this is more about the economy.

http://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/marinas.htm

-

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe its called Boulder Harbor...Not Boulder Marina..There is no marina there now but there used to be and it was moved to Hemingway...Just a ramp there now and a fishing pier..

fishrdan

Admiral

Here's a good article about the marina moves on Mead, 3 of them have been displaced since the lake started falling. Echo Bay (where I usually go) has probably moved 10 times as the lake has fallen, and as I understand it, they don't really have anywhere to go if the lake continues to drop...

http://www.lvrj.com/news/15474596.html

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

as dan said; echo bay will likely be the next and then temple bar.

with the economy the way it is i don't see any one picking them up and moving them. a lot of empty slips at all marinas as it is

i think after lake mead combined with las vegas bay, they now have the biggest in land marina in north america.

there were still some government docks in boulder harbor. that was a small dock and was tore down and replaced by the park service this spring. the new docks were set up over by hemenway ramp. next to las vegas bay marina.

these had nothing to do with the public but maybe that's the one you heard about????
they were in bad shape and needed replaced. it made sense to move them closer to the fuel and maintenance

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's been about 10 years ago that Las Vegas Bay Marina moved out of Las Vegas Bay and went to Hemenway (not Hemingway like the writer). It's been about 3 years since Lake Mead Marina moved out of Boulder Harbor (adjacent to Saddle Island) and was bought by Las Vegas Bay (Now Las Vegas Boat Harbor Marina) and they are operated together at Hemenway.

The confusion you have is that Boulder Harbor Launch Ramp is still operational (adjacent to Saddle). It used to be basically connected to Lake Mead Marina, but they ran out of water in the protected harbor and had to move the Marina . . . All of this is in the Boulder Basin and stretches from Boulder Harbor, across Boulder Beach and ends at The Hemenway Wall . . . :rolleyes: :)

If you need maps, drop me a PM.

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually what I was getting at is that the ramp is closed..

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is boulder harbor and it IS closed. We have been launching there for 2 years and the opening kept getting smaller and smaller. They tried to dredge it out about 3 months ago but the water level dropped faster than they could dig. The pier vanished about 5 months ago and the ramp (although they extended it) is now too far out of the water to be usable. We had to launch at hemmenway this weekend. Watch out for the hump at the end of the dock. I'll bet the boat dealers sold a lot of props this week; mine sold 3 by wednesday.