1989 Evinrude 35 hp - runs good then bogs

mattsmall1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,
I recently purchased a jon boat with a 1989 Evinrude 35 hp engine. When test driving the boat, it ran very well. Of course, after buying it and then taking it out on the water for a time, the engine had intermittant issues.
The engine would run well for a time, then suddenly would lose power. I noticed that the power would come back if the choke was engaged.
After stopping to fish for a while, then restarting the engine without choke, it would run good. It will keep running good for for two or three trips, then it would bog down again.
I know this is a fuel issue, so what do I need to look at? Could it be the fuel tank and line? Do I need to get the carbs rebuilt? Can I flush them out with some kind of fuel sysem cleaner? Any input is appreciated. The fact that this happens intermittantly makes me think it's some sort of junk in the cab bowl but I'm not a carb guy so I don't really know.

Thank you.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 Evinrude 35 hp - runs good then bogs

Looks like you need a good ol' carb cleaning, however, is the fuel tank venting correctly? You might check for loose clamps or cracks on the fuel line as well. If you do need a carb cleaning, don't be intimadated, it's not hard to accomplish and there is plenty of help here on Iboats.